Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

D44 Front Axle C Clip

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D44 Front Axle C Clip

I changed out the front open diff. To an aftermarket trac loc. Now the right side stub axle comes in all the way to the center pin but there is not enough room to reinstall the original c clip. It appears the side gear may be a bit deeper than the original.

Would it be ok to grind on either the axle end or side gear to get the needed clearance? Does anyone have a part number for that c clip since I broke the original?
Old 07-16-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

When you shove that shaft in, it bottoms out and won't go in any further. What stops it from going in further is where I would grind a bit.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:53 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

after looking at one maybe grinding anywhere isn't a rea

l good idea.

It would be the one on the left

I'm thinking you're probably best going to a c-clip eliminator spring. I see broncograveyard sells the spring now I think. Then it's a matter of attaching something to your shafts either side of the slip joint and the spring keeps it in place so you don't need the c-clip.
The original idea was so you could change the upper u-joint without dropping the 3rd member, but it would solve your problem.

Quick Reply: D44 Front Axle C Clip