Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Curious temp.gauge issue...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious temp.gauge issue...

Hi,folks.My 82 bronco with an 83 351 has a wierd problem.I'm on my second temp.sensor(gauge) and it reads way too low-barely above cold.The first one was totally burnt out,no reading.When the aftermarket gauge was mounted,it read 160/180.Is that considered COLD?or,do I have a defective temp sensor?NAPA says only 1 temp sensor for 80-96.???????I'd rather have the stock gauges working than aftermarket,if possible.Thanks.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If there is a 160 or 180 t-stat in the truck the after market gauge is doing its thing. I would rather see a 192 t-stat installed, with a OEM gauge, the reading would be in the normal range (what ever that is). Have never really liked Fords (normal) gauges. Thing to remember, readings are dependent on cooling system efficiency. T-stat lets the engine heat up to its rating, the efficiency of the system controls the max engine temperature.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp gauge/timing chain info

Thanks-I'm going to live with the low reading gauge for now-timing chain replacement coming soon,I'll put in a 190 then.
How about this....You can't buy the timing chain set ahead of time because I don't know if it's a one or two piece fuel pump eccentric.It's hard to fathom there is no way to know this ahead of time.The motor has a 1 piece RR main seal.Is there any indicator that would tell me this info-
Again,82 Bronco with (supposedly)83 351 motor.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:57 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Have seen the two piece eccentric but was not aware of the t-chain conditions. Have you tried Ford parts for the info or even the parts. Wonder if the two piece means a double roller chain and gear versus the old style?

Quick Reply: Curious temp.gauge issue...