Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Cats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cats?

Would my 85 F150 with a 302 have catalytic converters? It under snow right now so I cant crawl under it and im finding mixed things on the internet. Reason I ask is because I am having this stalling issue and also the truck is rather quiet considering the muffler is gone so I think they are plugged if I have them. The truck idles fine but when I go to put it into gear it dies. The truck also idled around town a lot its whole life and my grandpa ran purple gas on the farm so those two things wouldnt help the cats either. Solution will be just to get rid of them haha. This might not be my stalling issue in the end but still doesnt make sense why it is so quiet right now.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a single exhaust on my 1982 F-150 and i have a cat a single cat so i know your truck should or at least did when Manufactured in 85.The farmer could have removed them.THe cats should be easy to spot and have you felt your exhaust pipe to see how reaadly the air is flowing from the pipes?.

The stalling can also be from vacuum leaks/clogged cats/faulty electrical/carburator/distributor issues?.

How long have you owned the truck?.Throw a tarp or whatever on the ground and make sure the farmer didn't removwe the cats and then idle it and check the flow of the tail pipes.Check all the vacuum lines on the 302 starting at the carb.I bought my 1982 and decided to replace my vacuum lines one at a time .I also found every butt connector in every electrical connection and removed the butt connectors and soldered every connection.

Your stalling issues can be one or more of the above all at once.JUst take one thing at a time.I started with the vacuum.Your truck is 30 years old and they do oxidize and parts age and break or malfunction.You have to become a detective.Also look around the site for posts on your issues.Use the search bar.There is a weaslth of information on this site.Good luck.

Quick Reply: Cats?