Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Carb parts/issus

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carb parts/issus

Stalls constantly when your first start her up, ten minutes into driving when it's warned up it runs perfectly. Choke thermostat or choke pull off? Getting harder and harder to find diagnostic knowledge at the parts stores regarding carb stuff being 2016 so I hope somebody
out there can drop some knowledge my way.. Thermostat is wire connected the pull off looks to be a vacuum line deal.. The thermostat is like $65 or I'd just give it a hunch try.. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2016, 11:07 AM

I think I understand what your saying

you can adjust the choke by the little black unit on the passenger side of the truck. 3 set screws hold tension. CCW to increase CW to decrease

hope this helps.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
1967 Tempest (05-24-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 07:20 PM

Hey I just got a chance to look at this and get back to trying to figure the problem out. I actually got a choke thermostat to try out but o ran into an issue so I backed off for now. But back to the adjustment you mentioned, so if its running fine when it's few minutes into running and warmed up but not when you first start up, is that where you would start? I'll see if I can needs with it tomorrow. So in this case I'd need more choke?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The high idle choke screw is tough to adjust on a warm engine. Took me a few times. You should see it move the throttle bracket as you turn it on a cold engine. You will know if its too much when you start it.

Mine was at like 2K rpms. I backed off it a little over a week or so till it was at around 1500.

Also, when it is warmed up, put a vacuum gauge on the engine and see where you are. Then adjust the idle screw to get the highest vacuum you can.

If this is a 1 BBl, make sure that the carb is tight to the baseplate and tight to the intake manifold. You might have a vacuum leak when it is cold.

$0.02
Old 06-02-2016, 05:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Choke pulloff only affects the moment the truck starts. After that, it really has no purpose so that isn't your issue.

Sounds to me like your choke is stuck open. When you first start a cold engine it wants less air and more fuel to keep running so your choke plate should be mostly closed. After warmup, which is much less than 10 minutes BTW, the choke should be fully open and the truck should be running normal.

Could be the thermostat itself needing replaced, might just need cleaned. My suggestion to everyone is to go out and spend $10 on the manual choke kit rather than the 40-60 for the new choke cap.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by burnthelight88
Choke pulloff only affects the moment the truck starts. After that, it really has no purpose so that isn't your issue.

Sounds to me like your choke is stuck open. When you first start a cold engine it wants less air and more fuel to keep running so your choke plate should be mostly closed. After warmup, which is much less than 10 minutes BTW, the choke should be fully open and the truck should be running normal.

Could be the thermostat itself needing replaced, might just need cleaned. My suggestion to everyone is to go out and spend $10 on the manual choke kit rather than the 40-60 for the new choke cap.
I second that opinion...
Dorman Manual Choke Kit. Go one step further and get the Edelbrock cable as it has the metal **** and will last, and can be cut to length.
Best move I ever made on My rebuilt M2150.
Is the factory air cleaner intact ?
It's a good idea to put your vehicle's specs in your signature so we don't have to ask a bunch of questions about the truck
Old 06-21-2016, 08:38 AM

Hey I appreciate the responses, I've been locked out of this app since I got a new one, finally got it fixed.. I apologize. I will add the specs to my signature that is a great call
Old 06-21-2016, 09:06 AM

I can't find the signature setting on the app, I'll try on the web site when I can. App never seems to work quite right on iPhone. Straight six, factory show cleaner is intact. I took a look at the choke thermostat, i ended up turning it so that it engages the choke more, that stopped the stall.. Still not running perfectly for first few minutes or idling evenly, but majority of driving is solid.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:09 AM

I have to split my posts. App won't let me write much in one. So I'm liking the manual choke option, anywhere in particular that I'm best to purchase from?
Old 06-21-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by quirkdiggler
I have to split my posts. App won't let me write much in one. So I'm liking the manual choke option, anywhere in particular that I'm best to purchase from?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-55101

or

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP-5...ion+Kits+55101

Quick Reply: Carb parts/issus