Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Can't find block casting number

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find block casting number

I have an 88 F150 that originally came with a 351W and C6. The PO had replaced the engine with what he said was a 302. Now, my question is is there anywhere else besides by the starter where the casting number would be? I've scrubbed and scrubbed and still nothing there. The reason I'm asking g is because I was chasing a misfire issue that ended up being the wrong plugs because I thought the motor was out of an 88 but I believe it is actually out of an earlier truck. I put spark plugs for an 85 in it and now it runs like a dream. I'm just wondering where on earth the number is so I can ensure I get the right parts when needed. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:44 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're looking in the right place and don't see any numbers, then I would venture to say that you don't have a 302. They've been stamped in the same location since at least the 60's I'd say.

Start back at 0 by going to this site... http://www.fordification.com/tech/engineID-V8.htm

This will help you figure out the engine family and possible displacement options of your block. Then you can google where the engine stamp should be. A lot of the fords, but i dont think all, use the location near the starter though, so I still think that you are probably missing something, even a date stamp would help.

Last edited by burnthelight88; 02-10-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burnthelight88
If you're looking in the right place and don't see any numbers, then I would venture to say that you don't have a 302. They've been stamped in the same location since at least the 60's I'd say.

Start back at 0 by going to this site... http://www.fordification.com/tech/engineID-V8.htm

This will help you figure out the engine family and possible displacement options of your block. Then you can google where the engine stamp should be. A lot of the fords, but i dont think all, use the location near the starter though, so I still think that you are probably missing something, even a date stamp would help.
Its definitely a Windsor block. It does have a date code on the the block that is for an 85. I bought the plugs for an 85 and it now purrs like a kitten. I'm just wondering if the engine was reman would they grind off the the casting number.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:36 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Hmm hadn't thought of the reman possibility. I don't see the reason they'd grind it off, but if it's really not there then I guess anything is possible.

Quick Reply: Can't find block casting number