Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Been awhile! New to me 86

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 09:32 PM
Plays with Mopar's to!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Been awhile! New to me 86

Been awhile since I've been here, moved to a new place, sold my old F150, just bought this one first part of February. It's a 1986 F150 XLT Lariat that started life with a 300/NP435 setup according to the VIN, it has EFI harness and computer in the dash, and was converted to carbureted 302 by a PO, running the TFI IV ignition... Still did one wheel burn outs even though the timing didn't advance past 10 degrees... Anyway, I've slowly been working at it since then. It was running an Electric Frame Mounted Fuel Pump(aftermarket) it went out, replaced it, that one made it 10 minutes before burning out, so I installed a Mechanical Fuel Pump, tank has been replaced and all new line ran, that's why that's possible.

Went through the engine, was hoping it was a Post-1985 engine, went ahead and bought a stock Ford Explorer Roller Cam setup on Ebay, paid $78 shipped for the Cam, Lifters, Dog Bones, Pushrods, Spider, and Cam Thrust Plate, only for the engine to be a Pre-85.. it still got a Cloyes Street True Roller Timing Set, Cam Advance(I think the cam is aftermarket, has some lope to it and runs like a raped ape), I installed a new Distributor with Vacuum Advance, wired in the Duraspark Module in the stock TFI harness, pulled and painted, then resealed the intake, new Water Pump, New Radiator, New Holley 650cfm Double Pumper, MSD Cap and Rotor, Valve Cover Gaskets, Plugs are gapped at .055" and the Timing is bumped up. Has True Duals with Glasspacks.

Fixing to have to yank the Clutch Master Cylinder and clean it up, and replace the Clutch Slave Cylinder.. Also fixing to run new wires for the Oil and Temp sensors on the cluster.

It's a 2wd, PO installed newer 31x10.5's on it, it's got new springs in the front, new shocks all the way around, he also painted it White with the ugly as hell Orange hood and Black front end, I do like the Black front end, the Orange might be growing on me ...

Sometime in the near future it's gonna get an M5OD, I want a 5spd without Granny Gear, and Over Drive to bring the RPMs down from 3000 at 60mph..

Engine when I got it:

Engine as it sits now:

Eventually I'm gonna start cutting out wires to clean the engine bay up.

As it sits now:

Thread will be updated as more stuff is done.
The following users liked this post:
1967 Tempest (04-13-2015)

Quick Reply: Been awhile! New to me 86