Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

ANY Ideas at all will help me!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ANY Ideas at all will help me!!!!

Hey guys I will keep this very simple, but please I am dire need here.

1985 F150, 302 FI, supercab, may have mustang gt engine or just heads that fit the spark plug from an 86 mustang gt 302 fi.

When I put it into gear it wants to die or just stalls out real bad, feels like its missing at idle, but much worse in gear. Any load on engine makes it want to die or rpms drop (a/c, turn steering). ANY ideas at all????? What COULD it be? Keep em coming and I'll tell you what I've done already.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you have a newer motor than truck... which isn't all bad.

Probably a complete motor change, because I think the HO motors were roller motors instead of the older flat-tappet motors that our trucks had until several years later.

Does it have fuel injection? If so, you might scan for codes and see what the computer can tell you. This thread will explain how:

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/how-re...es-obdi-10907/
Old 10-08-2010, 11:01 PM

Aliens whats up dude? Good to see a familiar name in the classic forum. Not a lot of action here. So you think I got a swapped motor? Could be but that would mean my gap is off and causing the problem. Man I hope so as I am going to regap my plugs tomorrow and see what happens. The engine is still old style as it has the old style belt system and overall setup.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:51 PM

I think I'd regap for what's recommended - seems like it was .050 from the other thread? Sure can't hurt anything at this point...

It could be a newer motor with all the emission stuff taken off since that stuff's not needed on the older truck? Lots of cars had the 5.0 there for awhile - mustangs, crown vics, thunderbirds, town cars, you name it. The right mechanic can make just about anything work. Like someone said on your other thread, if you can find and decipher the casting numbers, a cross reference should be easy to find online. At least you'll have a better idea what sort of parts to shop for in the future.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:16 PM

Regapped today, same crap. This is getting beyond my pretty decent expertise. I am really needing some guesses here. I will pay anyone who gets it. How's $50? You got my word...I can pay pal it to ya. Thanks.

Just for your info- New IAC, TPS, Oil, tranny fluid/ filter, twice new plugs (2 different gaps), rotor, wires, cap, double and triple checked all vacuum lines, pcv valve, crankcase breather, air filter, all new gaskets for everything that is on intake manifold and manifold gasket. Guys I'm at my wits end here I almost took a sledge to the engine for a final fix today. ANYTHING????????
Old 10-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Pop's F-150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you are having a heck of a time. I read all the things you said you fixed or changed.....have you checked your timing? Sometimes if timing is off it won't show until engine is under a load.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:21 PM

Did you pull codes?

If it's running rough it could be missing on one cylinder - with it idling, pull the plug wires one at a time and see if it makes a difference. Be sure to pull them at the plug, not the distributor. If one plug doesn't change things, there's an issue with that cylinder (bad injector, wiring, you name it).

The timing thing is another good idea. No timing light? At the base of the distributor, there is a nut that holds it in place. Mark the distributor stem and the tab holding it with white-out, nail polish, etc., loosen the screw, and try turning the distributor a bit while it idles. Not scientific, but your ear can tell you if it's doing any good at all - if not, line up your mark and move on!

This is about all the guessing I can come up with. If you pull the codes, your odds of fixing this increase tremendously.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:49 PM

Thanks. I suspected timing to be off too and that was my only next guess. I tried to pull codes but my cel is out and I tried a digital multimeter- too hard to read. I will get an analog. If that don't do it I will see if I can get the light fixed to count flashes. Thanks. I will have the timing checked and report back here. Unfortunately it is one thing that I don't know how to do.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:30 AM

Well I got a fuel pressure regulator on the way from Rockauto. I will also get the timing checked. Here we go, let the throwing money at the problem games begin.....But we all know how that always ends (running out of money or wife says sell truck).
Old 10-11-2010, 11:31 AM
F150 on jooze

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like its not getting fuel

Quick Reply: ANY Ideas at all will help me!!!!