Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Alernator Guage going wacky

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Alernator Guage going wacky

Ok I have a 1985 f 150 lariat 2wd with a 5.0 EFI. I put in a new alternator and now my guage is going back n forth from middle to all the way right back n forth just wacky as heck. any ideas??
Old 09-29-2016, 04:57 PM

By the way I put a meter on it and it is putting out 14.65 to 14.70 volts
Old 09-29-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Since you just changed the alternator, is it possible you hooked the wires back up wrong?
Old 10-01-2016, 12:42 AM

Default Alternator

We changed it out a few months ago. The wires only go on one way. However there was something about the stater wire being or not being hooked up if there was a huge. It was on a small PC of paper in the box but the print was so small and the paper you could barely read it. I actually called O Riley's where we got the alternator and asked of the could look in the box of another one to temple what it said. At night the headlight flicker a little not all the way off and on just a slight flicker. I ran new ground wires from the battery ground to the body and the engine just to make sure it was grounded good. My concern is what happens if the stater wire is not hooked up? Has anyone else had a problem when changing out an alt.?
Old 10-01-2016, 08:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First off O'Reilly's might not have been a good choice. Although their rebuilders use OEM cases, that counts for nothing when it comes to internal windings in the rebuild process.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 84ordF150
First off O'Reilly's might not have been a good choice. Although their rebuilders use OEM cases, that counts for nothing when it comes to internal windings in the rebuild process.
I need more help than that. It was my only choice at the time and I had to change it out in their parking lot to keep me in the road. So back to my main question. What does the stater wire/post for? Does it have anything to do with the gauge on the dash?
Thanks for your reply but you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. 🙃
Old 10-06-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What gauge? Voltmeter or Ammeter?

Also did you go from say a 50A alternator to a 65A?
Old 10-09-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 84ordF150
Being as how you haven't checked back to update your thread . I can only assume that you either gave up, are ticked off, or you found that the stator wire goes to the "S" terminal of the external regulator and fixed the issue Forums such as this one can only continue to exist "if" those who start threads, follow through with them so the learning/teaching process can continue.
I intentionally waited to see if this thread would be updated.
I always say:
"Ya take a little, Ya give a little"...it brings things full circle.
The following users liked this post:
louderr57 (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:03 PM

The wire is hooked to the "S" and sorry for not getting back I have been not well am now just getting back to things here. I depend a lot on you giys that have been through some of the same situations that I am going through with my son and his/my 85 f150. The gauge isn't that bid a deal at the moment, we have other problems which I have posted a couple of days ago. I wish some one would take look at the problem we are now having. thanks again folks!!!

Quick Reply: Alernator Guage going wacky