Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

89 f150 wrong area? No its carbureted... please give some insight

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 12:06 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 89 f150 wrong area? No its carbureted... please give some insight

Okay so what I can across is an old 300 I6 with clifford performance headers and intake with an adapter plate to a weber 2bbl 32/36 carb... it's an 89 f150 4x4 and the paint isn't that great but the body is fairly straight.. not that it matters I already have a beaute 94 f150... anyway... I don't have much experience with carburetors or distributors that have the "points" in them so here's my dilemma... the truck will crank up and kinda idles rough, but it idles and there's white smoke coming out the exhaust so I'm guessing it's running lean along with the spark plugs being black that I pulled today while doing a compression check that had great readings... anyway I don't know why it's idling rough and when I try to give it some gas it hesitates and stalls... I tried the weber trouble shooting guide for that carb I found online and it helped with the idle but the acceleration on the gas is still stalling... my buddy said it may be a vacuum leak because I was adjusting the timing and turning the distributor and nothing was changing whereas on my 94 it probably would have died with that much turning... also I emptied the tanks the other day and put 5 gallons of premium gas and gum out fuel system cleaner... any ideas? Any hot areas where the vacuum is slipping past me? Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails 89 f150 wrong area? No its carbureted... please give some insight-20150406_170354.jpg  
Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

White smoke usually means water which usually means headgasket or (hopefully not) cracked head. If the reused the efi head these have been known to warp. Black plugs usually mean rich or oil. As far as timing its difficult to say whats up. Is it the 89 block or does it have a mechanical fuel pump?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

yep, burning coolant. rough idle is from the piston thats getting the coolant. if it's stalling that bad and all the vacuum checks out it's probably at the intake, warped/cracked, i once had one sucking so much into it through a gap at the head it would suck every last drop out of the can of carb cleaner i was spraying at it.

but before you worry about the stalling, get the head off and checked out, when you are ready to put the intake and exhaust back on get the flat one piece gasket, not the two piecer thats riveted together.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by JayzDaddy
White smoke usually means water which usually means headgasket or (hopefully not) cracked head. If the reused the efi head these have been known to warp. Black plugs usually mean rich or oil. As far as timing its difficult to say whats up. Is it the 89 block or does it have a mechanical fuel pump?
I still need to find the stamp and see what it says but no he has it ran from the fuel pump in the tank to a fuel regulator so possibly an 89
Old 04-23-2015, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Burr
yep, burning coolant. rough idle is from the piston thats getting the coolant. if it's stalling that bad and all the vacuum checks out it's probably at the intake, warped/cracked, i once had one sucking so much into it through a gap at the head it would suck every last drop out of the can of carb cleaner i was spraying at it.

but before you worry about the stalling, get the head off and checked out, when you are ready to put the intake and exhaust back on get the flat one piece gasket, not the two piecer thats riveted together.
Well I hope it's not freaking coolant... my buddy looked at it and noticed that they put spark plugs that originally go with an 89 paired up with an old *** distributor out of some 70s model truck with the points still in it... he says that ain't gonna fly... and as for the vacuum I sprayed wd40 around the intake, surely it would have sucked it in and revved the motor if it was cracked, no?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Burr

So I did a pressure test on the coolant system and it held the pressure for like 8 hours, it still is holding the pressure now so I don't know if it's the coolant
Old 04-24-2015, 09:08 AM

The distributor from the 70s is for an ignition swap. Had to do that to revert it to an older style to run carb. Did they put a ignition box on one of the fenders, either gray or blue, about the size of a big mac box but not as tall. Might need to set the points or maybe even swap ignitions again. Can you get a pic of the dizzy? Do you have facebook? Try joining one of the ford 300 pages. Its easier to post pics and stuff that way. And you could share a video of the engine bay so i could get an idea of what your set up is.

That pcv hole being open doesnt help.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:11 AM

Join the FORD 300 inline 6 page. We have over 1000 people. Im sure we can get it straight. If you need help msg me your info.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by JayzDaddy
Join the FORD 300 inline 6 page. We have over 1000 people. Im sure we can get it straight. If you need help msg me your info.
Should I just plug that or something? Idk where the pcv run to the carb at so that's why I haven't bought one... anyway I'll join the page man thanks for the reply!
Old 04-24-2015, 10:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

did you try the pressure test while it was running?

Quick Reply: 89 f150 wrong area? No its carbureted... please give some insight