Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

86 running poorly

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 running poorly

I've been trying to find out whats wrong with my 86 F150 for a while now, and so I decided to jump online and ask some questions. I think the timing is messed up because it idles at 400-550 RPM. And to be honost I'm not much of a wrench. So I can't figure out how to fix it or even if thats the problem. I was on my way to work today and when I was almost there the tach started fluctuating between 250 and 750 RPM and then died. I was able to get it started again but a few minutes later it died again. So I left it and walked to work. When I came back to it with my buddy we jumped it and it started after a cranking it a few times. And theres more... the brake light is on so I checked the fluid. the front was low so I knew there was a leak somewhere in the rear. I filled it back up and checked inside the drums to see if there was any fluid in there... I didn't see any. and finally, probably the most serious problem the oil pressure is low when running. but still in the normal range... around the N. and when it idles it drops out of the normal range. I was using 5w-30 and then switched to 5w-40. it made a slight differance but its still low. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 86 running poorly

Verify the oil pressure using a direct reading gauge connected into the engine at the oil sender unit near the oil filter. Did the brake lite go out when filled with fluid? Does brake pedal feel solid or spongy? Are you sure the battery and alternator are working! Wondering why the engine quit running, and had to be jump started.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the truck to a local mechanic my neighbor suggested, he looked at the engine and just said wow. There were vacuum hoses plugged that shouldn't be plugged, a rod is knocking, its not firing on one or two cylinders, there is an exhaust leak, theres a pretty serious oil leak, the driveshaft is too long and the universals are binding and getting worn out. I knew about the driveshaft, but I didn't know the universals were trash and it was binding. Its a 2 wheeldrive driveshaft on a 4 wheel drive transmission. So I'm going to replace the plugs and go from there. I've got a real headache and money bucket on my hands. Thank god I ship out in august.

Quick Reply: 86 running poorly