Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

86 Poor cold start

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post 86 Poor cold start

My 1986 has the 300 I6 carbureted and now that its gotten colder its gotten much harder to start in the mornings and when its cold in the afternoon. I know it taking a little longer to start in the cold is normal because of it being carbureted but once it does fire for the first 2-3 minutes of it being cold it is hard to keep running and also sounds like its not firing properly as if its missing a cylinder or something. It is also very low on power to the point where it wont accelerate or gain revs at all. However once it warms up a little bit it runs with no problem. My question is, is this something wrong with the truck or do i just need to get an engine block heater so I don't have to start it cold? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

pump the gas twice before you turn the key, and dont give it any gas at all unless its already running and you think it will die, but be ready to keep giving it gas until the idle smooths out.

the carb has a fast idle setting for cold weather, hiting the gas once when turned off sets it, twice gives it a little extra gas for super cold weather. but many of these trucks have been torn up under the hood so they also dont have the breather pipes that pull air across the exhaust when its cold which can make it harder to keep idling properly
Old 11-13-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay man, I have a 86 f-150 with the 300 inline and before I adjusted it it wouldn't run right when it was cold. Take the air filter assembly off and then if the carb has never been off theres a cap at the bottom of the carb on the passengers side get some vise grips and pull it off under it is the air mixture screw turn it all the way in back it out 2 to 2-1/4 out get it to idle by its self then adjust in or out to smooth it out. Now the fast idle you want 1-1/5 in and the idle 2-1/8 in. Do you have a manual choke or auto?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:11 PM

If you need any further help man, I can post a video on how to do it! I get plenty of these ol trucks that needs adjustment for the winter.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

i dont recommend messing with ur idle screws unless you have good reason, chances are they are fine, just try using the fast idle by pumping the gas peddle once, and not touching the gas peddle when turning the key.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 AM

Matthew Blurr thats if the choke is working properly. If its not then he will need to adjust it!
But your are right you wanna check everything else before messing with the screws. I have an 86 f150 4x4 4 on the floor 300 inline can sit a week hit the pedal 1 time she fires right up!

Quick Reply: 86 Poor cold start