Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

86 Inline 300 Coolant Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Inline 300 Coolant Mystery

Hi, new to the forum, down in Charlotte, NC. My 86 has had numerous coolant problems I have fixed, hoses, gaskets, radiators, water pump, etc. I need to replace the heater core, but have not done so yet, though I have the part. (BTW, if there are directions anywhere to do this, please let me know.)
Now I have coolant leaking from - drum roll please.... - the transmission. Seriously. I checked everywhere else for a spraying hose, intake manifold gasket, freeze plugs. Water is dripping out of the transmission case. A running drip, not just drops. When I turned it off, I could hear hissing steam right there where the block meets the tranny. I can't seem to find any reverse view of the block with the tranny off, nor a diagram of where the coolant travels in the block. Is there a crack in my block?

What the heck is going on here??? Although this truck is old, it has less than 70k on it. I have wrenched on it so many times, I am almost ready to give up on it.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:58 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Is this an auto transmission? The only way for coolant to get into tranny is if the internal transmission cooler broke. It is inside the radiator. There are two hoses from the transmission that go to the rad. If it is broken inside the rad, there you go.

If the rad is newer you can by pass the rad and get an external cooler. Usually the biggest one you can fit on the truck. Here are some examples.

Dave

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g4960a/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-12904/overview/

A manual will not have this.

Last edited by 1967 Tempest; 07-25-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM

It is a four-on-the-floor manual tranny. Radiator is probably 6 months old.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Hmmmmm

That is odd. I'll have to look at mine and look for a source of coolant to trans...
Old 08-12-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may have a freeze plug rotted out on back of block.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:08 AM

if your heater core is leaking it could be leaking in the firewall some wehere and then getting to the top of the trans making it look like its coming from the trans... ? disconnect the lines on the heater core and route them together basiccaly bypass it. see what happens? and for removal of the core theres a few bolts in the cab under glove box area i beleive 3 or 4 then 2 more under the hood right by the fender. the whole heater box assembly comes out from under the hood then seperate it like 1o little bolts pull core out and reinstall. easy but time consuming. just did mine in my 1980 f100 should be about the same ?

Quick Reply: 86 Inline 300 Coolant Mystery