Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

86 F150 XLT Lariat 4.9L Carb Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 F150 XLT Lariat 4.9L Carb Issues

I am new to a 1986 Ford F150 XLT Lariat with a 4.9 liter engine and rust free. The truck only has 63,000 original miles and I am having issue with it running rich. From what I have been told that was a bad year for the computer controlled carb. I want to replace the carb with a pre computer carb. Is there one out there that I should buy. I basically want to unbolt the old and rebolt a new one on and just hook up the linkage and fuel line. I want a direct replacement without the computer BS. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails 86 F150 XLT Lariat 4.9L Carb Issues-86-ford-f150.jpg  
Old 09-21-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

It's been a couple days without anyone else responding so I'll throw in my $.02. Fix what you have. Trying to change it to something else isn't going to be easier, it'll be harder and more expensive. Plus you're going to ruin the integrity of that very nice pickup in the picture.

I'll admit that I don't know much about the old Ford computer controlled systems except that there were 2 different versions. From what I understand, though, you'll have to change more than just the carb. It's likely hooked up to the distributor also, which means a new distributor. Then you're gonna have to replace the computer with some other sort of spark control system used on fords (ignition module). This ignition module also connects into the coil so you might need to change that also. And on, and on, and on.

Dude, just fix what you have.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all....sharp truck. Secondly I would have to concur with Braggs on keeping a nice original truck......original. When all is working correctly, the system in your truck is a very reliable system, retained by many when restoring these trucks. The cost and labor involved is not worth converting any system in these trucks unless you are starting out with a "rat" and have a blank canvas. To answer you wanting a direct "plug-n-play" conversion..there isn't one. You will happier in the long run if you repair what you have.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Google 85, 86 F-150 duraspark II conversions. The 80 to 84 F-150s were feedback carb free and ran on the duraspark ignition system. It's all plug and play, more reliable and frees you up to replace the intake manifold and install a bigger carburetor. Not to mention being able to clean up the engine bay from all the wires and hoses from the feedback system. The biggest challenge is finding the duraspark ignition wiring harness. If you're worried about keeping it original, you can always go back to the finicky feedback system.
The following users liked this post:
Peteahh (12-19-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 04:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Painless has a wiring harness for this conversion. Its about $80 and is well made. I just installed one. Their instructions are excellent, and the kit includes a resistor which i mounted on the left fender. The biggest problem is finding the wire for the ‘run’ position out of the ignition, which is white with lite blue. It comes off the drivers side firewall in a bundle and goes through a connector that has 3 wires in and 2 out that is on the left fender well. . I know this is an old thread, but others can benefit.

Quick Reply: 86 F150 XLT Lariat 4.9L Carb Issues