Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

86 f150 stalling

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 f150 stalling

i have a 1986 f150 2wd auto. dual fuel tanks. i blocked off one and removed the tank (rear). the truck is cutting off when it gets warm. its running out of fuel. i have a fuel pressure gauge on the rail now. I've replaced the in tank pump the external pump and the fuel pressure regulator, theres no vacuum leaks and both pumps are running. no fuel leaks either. new canister filter along with the filter after the external pump. I'm out of ideas on what it can be. its defiantly running out of fuel as the pressure gauge shows. it was fine when i went to work. i get off work and didn't even make it a half mile before it died. any help would be great. thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd remove the fuel filter and see if its got junk in it...ours did.

When this was happening to me, in our '77, it was junk in the carb blocking the ports.
Replaced carb and has run like a top ever since.

Any chance its vapor locking?

Or, if there are hoses, could 1 be collapsing?

Last edited by oldster; 01-26-2015 at 06:49 AM. Reason: add thoughts
Old 01-26-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

What did you do with the DFR tank switching valve with filter thing? The DFR depends on the selected in-tank pump to work properly. I am not sure it will work correctly if you just plug the ports to the missing tank? Or the valve has been plugged by debris.
Also the dash switch must be set to the correct tank or the in-tank pump will not run.

With 1 tank, the DFR should really be changed to an SFR (Reservoir without the tank switching valves).

Quick Reply: 86 f150 stalling