Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

86 f-150 (automatic) 5 litre dies 10 minutes after starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 f-150 (automatic) 5 litre dies 10 minutes after starting

Greetings- Little bit of history, Truck has only 85, 000 miles and has been in my family since new. A few months back we replaced the original injectors (single orifice) with the newer style quad hole model. Cleaned out gas tank (single), replaced fuel gauge sender and pump in tank, replaced fuel pump under drivers position , and all fuel filters. The truck now starts easily, sounds and idles well, but then mysteriously dies out after 10-15 minutes of driving. It "sounds" like it's not getting enough fuel. My buddy, who is a real auto mechanic thinks that I bought a bad fuel pump and it's cutting out after it heats up. Another mechanic friend thinks it may be the catalytic converter "acting up". I need to replace the cat anyways as there is a small hole in the side of it and you can hear the exhaust leak. My question is (as the car is 30 years old and considered an antique), should I replace the cat with a Straight or "test" pipe or just install a generic converter? I want to fix the exhaust before any more trouble shooting takes place. Suggestions? Ideas? Thank you, Paul, Providence, RI
Old 07-18-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

pickup coil maybe?
Old 07-19-2016, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prlwpod
... I need to replace the cat anyways as there is a small hole in the side of it and you can hear the exhaust leak. My question is (as the car is 30 years old and considered an antique), should I replace the cat with a Straight or "test" pipe or just install a generic converter?...
What has being 30 years old got to do with getting rid of the cat ? Are vehicles this old no longer required to meet emmissions requirements ? Just asking
Old 07-19-2016, 10:21 AM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

That would depend on where the OP lives, there is no emissions check in my state.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:54 PM

I suppose each state could decide. We don't have emissions or safety checks here either but most places do.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The way the Rhode Island laws are written....

when a motor vehicle reaches 25 years of age, it can be registered as an "antique" which issues you a different licence plate which states "ANTIQUE" across the top. The vehicle is also then exempt from emission testing as well. It is also much less expensive to register the vehicle as an antique.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:22 PM

And to think it wasn't that long ago the environmental whack-jobs were trying to make it illegal for any car more than 10 years old to be driven on any American road. Some states or big cities were even paying people big bucks to have their perfectly good 10+ year old cars crushed. With my 84', as long as I maintain it, it is well into the point where it now appreciates in value each year.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:14 AM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

My guess is the ignition control module....It heats up and a solder joint opens and the truck dies. It cools and the joint closes and the truck starts again.....check for spark the next time it dies.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by prlwpod
Greetings- Little bit of history, Truck has only 85, 000 miles and has been in my family since new. A few months back we replaced the original injectors (single orifice) with the newer style quad hole model. Cleaned out gas tank (single), replaced fuel gauge sender and pump in tank, replaced fuel pump under drivers position , and all fuel filters. The truck now starts easily, sounds and idles well, but then mysteriously dies out after 10-15 minutes of driving. It "sounds" like it's not getting enough fuel. My buddy, who is a real auto mechanic thinks that I bought a bad fuel pump and it's cutting out after it heats up. Another mechanic friend thinks it may be the catalytic converter "acting up". I need to replace the cat anyways as there is a small hole in the side of it and you can hear the exhaust leak. My question is (as the car is 30 years old and considered an antique), should I replace the cat with a Straight or "test" pipe or just install a generic converter? I want to fix the exhaust before any more trouble shooting takes place. Suggestions? Ideas? Thank you, Paul, Providence, RI

Check the condition of your fuel lines. Some times especially on these classics , the rubber fuel line looks good on visual inspection but actually isn't solid. The hoses get soft and close in on it's self and cut fuel off after the motor build up suction on the rubber fuel line. Rubber fuel line replacement is a inexpensive replacement any way. Worth a look at any how.

Quick Reply: 86 f-150 (automatic) 5 litre dies 10 minutes after starting