Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

84 F150 won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 F150 won't turn over

Hi I hope someone can help me with this. as I've had it with this truck. I've put thousands of dollars into it (engine, rebuilt rear end. and the list goes on and on)

this is an intermittent problem.
The problem,, i turn the key and get nothing, lights, radio and everything works.
the first time it happened i changed the starter. the very next day. the 3rd time in all on the new starter it did the same thing,
New solenoid did not help.
I cleaned the battery terminals and woo hoo it started.
a few weeks later same thing. no start but now it shuts everything off when i turn the key. but all i have to do is wiggle negative battery terminal
so i clean the hell out of the terminals again and i even cut away about 2 inches of the battery cable to get to good wires ( i was told to do this ) it's fine for a few weeks. then it does it again. i wiggle the calbles but nothing,, lucky me i was on my 3rd day at a new job and using my truck so i lost it and put my fist thru the windshield. did i mention I've had it with this truck..
if i pop start it it's starts right up
does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening.

just a side note 2 more cars where i live had the same problem
94 ranger and 92 Plymouth minvan. both a quick fix of the negative battery terminals. they have never had a second problem.
and my 72 plymouth that is parked at a friends house 14 miles away had the same problem but with the positive cable.
we all have Walmart ever/start batteries
Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 PM

I would check the main wires for your ground and hot leg to the starter from the solenoid. They can get corroded in the low points in the wire where moisture will collect. I have had this happen on a 92 that I had and I replaced the wires and made sure my ground was good and clean and never had an issue again. little known fact is that the electrical current ravels on the surface of the wire rather than inside so that is why it is important to ceep your contact surfaces clean. hope this helps, good luck.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:58 PM

the cables aren't that old maybe 5 to 6 years. but the truck did sit for almost a year.. the wires dont look bad, but i have to start somewhere. i think i might go with a thicker gauge cable.
i thank you for your help and i'll get back. once i can afford to buy the cables.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are getting a short in one or more of your battery terminals. You should not be able to wiggle the battery ends with them properly tightened down if you can you might need to replace the ends or the battery since one or the other is worn. You should also coat the ends with petroleum jelly or silicone grease to help cut down on corrosion from the acid.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 PM

Your problem is in your battery cables, I repaired an 89 F350 that was doing the same thing, it was in the positive cable, but I am sure you will find the problem in one or both of your cables.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:26 PM

hi thanks everyone for your help. the wires will be getting replaced. as soon as i have the money, i did find the ground in the back from the firewall to the engine fell apart,
now here's the funny part the positive wire on the ranger did the same thing 2 days ago, and the guy next door his buick had the same problem. i think the street i live on has some bad voodoo going on
Old 09-02-2009, 03:03 PM

Hey everyone,,, sorry I didn't get back sooner. It seems when the fit hits the shan it hits all at once. just an update.. I did replace all the cables on the truck, and it started up fine for 3 days about 10 starts in all.
Then it sat for 2 days. When I went to start it the same thing happened.
Turned the key got a click. lights didn't go dim just a click.
had a friend turn key while i did the battery cable boogie. sparks fly from the solenoid. that's when i notice the solenoid has a loose bolt ... again,
i tightened it down when i did the cables. didn't hold to long,,
So I drill 2 new holes and bolt it back down. Haven't had a problem in a couple weeks.

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 PM

thanks for posting back as this may help someone else down the road, glad you found your problem. Hope all goes well

okie

Quick Reply: 84 F150 won't turn over