Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

78 F100 351M Won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 78 F100 351M Won't crank

I came home the other night and shut the truck off then realized I forgot to get something so I turned the key to restart and nothing. The lights would dim but no solenoid click, no starter drive clunk, nothing.
I replaced the solenoid, typical Ford issue. Got a bad one that was closed out of the box and as soon as the battery was hooked back up the truck cranked and started right up by itself and kept right on cranking (POS Chinese part).
I got a good quality Taiwanese solenoid since there isn't anything made in America anymore, and it seems to be ok but the truck still won't crank with the key. It starts right up when I jump the hot with the "s" terminal so that tells me the ignition switch and since I couldn't get 12V from the wire I replaced the ignition switch.
It still won't crank with the key.
My question to all is, has anyone encountered such an issue? Am I missing something?
Help!!!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Start under the dash at the ignition switch and start chasing wires.I had a similar problem on my 1982 F-150 and it turned out to be a butt connector that on first inspection looked connected but after closer look i found out that the butt connector wasn't crimped enough and i accidently moved it with my hand and the ignition switch key on the dash was on position and it started to crank. I got lucky but it is important to chase wires especially under the dash of a 36 year old truck. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Mailho69 (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

'78 F100 Ranger Lariat 351M Auto

After further thinking I remembered that the Neutral safety switch was also in the starter circuit.
I had replaced it a few months back with one I bought off of eBay because it was about 20 bucks cheaper than the local 'parts houses. I did this to fix the reverse light operation.
That was the culprit, so I went to O'Reilly's a new bought Borg Warner unit and replaced it. It cranks and starts fine now..........but now the reverse lights aren't working again.......
I guess I'll leave well enough alone.... for now!!

Quick Reply: 78 F100 351M Won't crank