Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

351m Oil pan help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 351m Oil pan help

Please help me! (N00B)

Need to replace the oil pan in a 1979 F150 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4WD.
My online research has yielded zippo... Since it is a somewhat unique part I figured I wouldn't have a lot of luck at my little local yard, either..
LMC sells only 351m oil pan for 2WD, 4WD pan is for 240 engine, etc.

Please help--does anyone have a link where I can buy one? Or any expert advice on interchangeability with other setups?

Side question--are the magnetic bolts good?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:26 PM

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/Milodon/Product-Line/Milodon-4x4-Truck-and-Off-Road-Oil-Pans/Year/1979/Make/FORD/Engine-Size/5-8L-351/?Ns=Rank|Asc

That is a hefty price.... What is wrong with your current pan?

You are looking for a 351-400 Milodon Oil pan off the cleveland engine 1970-1980 if this helps, the only one I could find was the link above, tried EBAY with no luck. I will keep searching.

I have NO idea if they used the oil from the below link on your truck, it doesn't make sense that no one would reproduce a aftermarket pan or anything of the like. You may want to just double check it before you go and order the above.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...Q5fAccessories

Maybe someone can help you with this more then I can.

Last edited by Kickprivate; 03-20-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Fixed Mis-information
Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the response, Kickprivate!

I saw that gold-plated pan, too. It doesn't look a thing like my current pan, and it wouldn't make a whole ton of sense to use in my situation considering that the truck is a weekend off-roader/cruiser/yardwork type... Not really a restorer/showpiece. But I love my F150 just the same, you know?

The pan as it is now just has a slow leak around the current plug, which is already a double-oversize.. So replacement of the pan seems to be the only viable option, since I don't think welding the current plug in place is a great idea.

As far as the bottom link, that looks a lot like what's on the truck now. So what's the deal with that one? Is it a Mustang part or an F150 part? Sorry for the noob questions..
Old 03-20-2011, 11:09 PM

The best way to know that it will fit is to see it, look at the picture and compare to what you see under the truck. But you need to realize one is a FRONT sump meaning that even if it looks like it, if the one you have has the sump on the back and not the front, you are out of luck.

Also that ebay drain pan has the oil drain on the drivers side while it looks like the summit one has it on the passenger side. Just compare them and figure it out, its easy enough. Make sure the bolts look like they line up.

Another viable option is to take it to an automotive machine/welding shop and let them see what they can do for you, they may be able to fix it like new for 80 bucks for all we know. Find someone that has been doing it for a while, i bet then can cover the old plug, install a new one and you would never ever know.

Last edited by Kickprivate; 03-21-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Desert Valley Auto Parts, they got all kinds of used parts. And if you don’t live in AZ they can ship anywhere.
1-800-905-8024
http://dvap.com/

Or try National Parts Depot
http://shop.autocraftinvestments.com/

Or Bronco Graveyard
http://broncograveyard.com/
Old 03-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

What about an aftermarket Pan...I see tons of them...
Old 03-28-2011, 11:04 PM

Hey man I'm new to this site but I have a 78 shortbed stepside that was a factory 2wd n I turnd it into a 4wd it has a built 400 n I'm running a 351c oil pan from jegs which is for a mustang fox body it double sump pan large sump in the back n a small one in the front the only thing I had to do was heat my header on the driver side n bend it a lil to clear the pan I'm using mine is a 9 qt but they sell them for 6 qt so u should have no issues at all

Quick Reply: 351m Oil pan help