Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1986 ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1986 ignition problem

I have a small (big) problem with my 1986 f150, i6 300. (BTW, it's in the classic corner already?!)

I'm not getting ANYTHING when i turn the key. I know the battery is good, I replaced the solenoid, i "accidentally" touched the starter wire directly to the battery wire - so i know the starter is good.

I checked the pins at the ignition - no current.

What should i look at next? I looked at the wiring diagram in the Chilton's and it says it goes straight to the ignition after the solenoid. Am I missing something?

Any help would be great.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello and welcome! I think there must be a fuse. Just follow your battery wire and check for voltage at every connection.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Fusible link could be fried. They are at the solenoid.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:53 PM

I have this problem with mine every few months.
How new is the battery cable?
Take some good emory cloth and clean all the wires(cables etc) going and comeing from the started solenoid.
There is no fuseable link.
Try that.
If it dosentwork let me know and Ill try to help more.
I have an 86 as well
Old 07-17-2008, 03:29 PM

Hi, a quick update. I've checked the fusible links, the ones near the solenoid and all pass the "voltage present" test. I havent checked the voltage amount, since I assumed there would either some or none. I even went underneath and checked the fusible link coming back from the alternator - it's fine.

I've followed the wires all the way back to the clutch switch. It's difficult to see if those are dead or not - angle is...painful...to my back. But I'll check that - i have a strong suspicion.

I'll also check the wiring. It's all brand new as it was running weird, cutting out, etc. So I brought it to an auto-electrician. He liked working on it since it doesn't have "all those stinking computers in it", so he only charged me $300 an hour to fix it...j/king...it took a couple of hours, but he reran the wiring to the engine instead of to the frame, and my problems went away!

I'll check this weekend and let you know.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: 1986 ignition problem