Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1986 F150 Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1986 F150 Starting Problems

Hey guys. I bought the first Ford i've ever owned with the 5.8 auto.

I've done some searching around and found some useful information already, but still have some questions.

Due to a brake leak between the master cylinder and the power booster, the truck got put on the trailer. When we tried to start it, it would only turn over. It's getting gas and we even tried starter fluid, still a no go.

Here's where i'm confused. After a minute of trying to start it, it wouldn't stop trying. Ignition off, keys out and still going. I've read that this is most likely the cause of the starter relay on my passenger side fender well, so I took off the red bootleg connector (still not sure if it goes to the starter or the ignition switch) and hooked the battery back up. The engine tries to start if the connector is on or off. Any information would be awesome.

Also, on that starter relay the red connector is on 'S'. Is there supposed to be anything plugged into 'I'?

Thanks guys.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like the starter solenoid is bad - stuck on. The small red wire goes to the ignition key switch. The larger gauge wires go to battery and starter motor.

You most likely have a generic solenoid installed. The I terminal is not used. The I terminal connects 12 volt power during starting only and is for ignition coils on older cars with points.

I made the mistake of grounding the I terminal on my JD lawn tractor. The original solenoid had both starter (12V) and GND connectors. Billows of smoke erupted as the ground wire melted. Didn't hurt anything. The solenoid is grounded via the mounting bolt to the frame.

You can get the generic solenoid at Autozone for about $12
Kevin
Old 08-28-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If solenoid is not available from Ford suggest a better auto parts, to get replacement. I prefer NAPA as to the other gypos.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright, thanks guys. I'll see if I can get this thing rocking.

Quick Reply: 1986 F150 Starting Problems