Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1986 F150 Motor Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 F150 Motor Question

So I received an 86 F150 from my grandfather with a valvetrain tap. I pulled the plenum intake and valve covers, and found what appeared to be a failed lifter. Put it back together only to discover a blown head gasket. Needless to say annoying, the truck has a mustang roller motor with an F150 intake on top. My question is can I swap in any injected 302? I know the firing order changed after the 86 model year, if I swap in a later motor do I just need to make sure I stick to the 86 firing order? That's how it is set up now, just want to avoid headaches doing a swap, and if any of you guys are in the Nashville area with an extra motor laying around I'm looking for one. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:57 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You should have the speed density setup (no MAF) so they'll all work. Not sure when mustangs changed to the HO cam, but the trucks did it in 94-95. Roller blocks were installed in the trucks 87 and later, but they didn't actually install roller cams in them till 92-93. The mustangs got the roller cam much earlier.
Upshot is, a 302 is a 302. They'll all work, just put your intake and stuff on.
Problem with a car engine (other than having to put the truck oil pickup and pan on) is that they came with a cam designed to pull a car around (lots of power, very little torque) so they don't pull a truck around very well with the original cam in them. Swap in a truck cam and it's a whole different motor, designed to pull a truck off the line or up a hill even with some weight in the back, but not so much of the spin the tires rev up quick little race car type thing.
Make sense ?

Quick Reply: 1986 F150 Motor Question