Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1986 F150 302/5.0 Questions

Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 F150 302/5.0 Questions

Hello Forum,
New to the site and F150s

I do want to go ahead an apologize for the repeats of questions.
But after a long search process and spread out info, Ive decided it was time to join a forum and ask.

I am going to look at an 86 F150 302/5.0 auto soon.
Only 100k miles garage kept.
It hasn't been said from owner if it is EFI.
But I do know that was the year to introduce EFIs

1. If its an EFI setup with the MAP system, what should I check/replace on the system that is known to be a problem? Are these EFIs a bad system?

2. I know more about the Windsor motors in mustangs then the F150s. I understand the 351s are a better power plant. But for now, I plan on keeping the 302/5.0. So is there any decent performance upgrades? Anything that can be improved without tearing the block down?

3. What years are compatible for the engine? Can parts off a 87 work find on the 86? Or 88? What motors can fit into the 86 engine bay for down the road in-case?

4. Anything I should keep an eye out for? I have seen about the 3g alternators being something to upgrade from the 2g alts. Anything else?

5. Is the auto a decent one or should I be concern?

Thank you for your time and hopefully I dont sound like a broken record.
It sounds like a good deal and if it works out, curious to get into a classic truck. I deff plan on doing the necessities and basics for over all before anything fun. But I hope to have fun with the 302/5.0 after its all said and done
Old 09-14-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 86 with 302/aod/efi etc etc. The speed density systems on these i would say are pretty reliable but just not the best for making power and tuneability. 85.5 efi was an option and 86s were efi. I'd first check IAC and gasket, clean it out good with some throttle body cleaner or MAF cleaner. Check basics, plugs n wires, leaks, open or damaged wires/connectors. Wanting more power for the 302 and not tearing the block down is a hard thing. Redo the exhaust with some good mufflers or glasspacks for better flow and of course noise . Ive seen homemade intakes guys have made for their trucks and seems to work pretty good. Intake manifold, cam, and port heads if you wanted to, A 351 would overall be a better platfrom. Pretty much anything 80 to 96 are swappable on these trucks. Is it a 3 or 4 speed auto? The aod 4 speeds are weak in overdrive but can be built solid, many drag cars use aods and handle alot of power.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1986 F150 302/5.0 Questions