New to the site and F150s
I do want to go ahead an apologize for the repeats of questions.
But after a long search process and spread out info, Ive decided it was time to join a forum and ask.
I am going to look at an 86 F150 302/5.0 auto soon.
Only 100k miles garage kept.
It hasn't been said from owner if it is EFI.
But I do know that was the year to introduce EFIs
1. If its an EFI setup with the MAP system, what should I check/replace on the system that is known to be a problem? Are these EFIs a bad system?
2. I know more about the Windsor motors in mustangs then the F150s. I understand the 351s are a better power plant. But for now, I plan on keeping the 302/5.0. So is there any decent performance upgrades? Anything that can be improved without tearing the block down?
3. What years are compatible for the engine? Can parts off a 87 work find on the 86? Or 88? What motors can fit into the 86 engine bay for down the road in-case?
4. Anything I should keep an eye out for? I have seen about the 3g alternators being something to upgrade from the 2g alts. Anything else?
5. Is the auto a decent one or should I be concern?
Thank you for your time and hopefully I dont sound like a broken record.
It sounds like a good deal and if it works out, curious to get into a classic truck. I deff plan on doing the necessities and basics for over all before anything fun. But I hope to have fun with the 302/5.0 after its all said and done