Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1985 Lariat Noisy Fuel Pump

Old 05-30-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1985 Lariat Noisy Fuel Pump

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums, and new to owning a Ford pickup, but I recently bought a 1985 F150 Lariat V8 5.0L 302 carb engine, with 83k original miles on it and maybe 15% patina, (it was an old farmer's truck stored in a barn). Anyways, I fell in love with it instantly and have had a great time driving it. However, like any 30 yr old vehicle, it came with a few mechanical quirks, you might say.

The only one that concerns me right now is the electronic fuel pump. It is an inline pump that is mounted inside the engine compartment on the driver's side wheel well. When the key is in the start position, but the truck has not actually been started, just everything is powered up, the pump makes a buzzing\vibration noise. Almost always after the engine is started it goes away, but sometimes continues for a few minutes.

I have searched and searched the internet and cannot find any definitive answers as to whether this is something I should address immediately or what. Is this a sign that the fuel pump is going out? I have also read that it is a bad or clogged fuel filter. I would love some advice before I proceed with any kind of repair or replacement.

If anyone with good knowledge on this could get back to me with some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. The truck runs fine as it is and doesn't act like it is having a problem getting fuel, but I am a very amateur mechanic so I can't be certain. Thanks again in advance!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:57 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

That is not a factory pump. Most of those ****ty pumps operate like that. It's noisy because it's self regulating, it's holding back fuel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 Lariat Noisy Fuel Pump