Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1984 Ford F150 4x4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Ford F150 4x4 problems

Good evening,

I picked up an 84 Ford F150 in a trade. It has the 4.9L Inline 6, the farmer/granny transmission, some ugly but crazy homemade front and rear bumpers, and its own set of problems. I dont know a lot about these things, I'm more a 60s, 70s muscle car person, but due to a series of events I now have this. I know my way around an engine, but I have not had much experience with transmissions and I have never even touched a 4x4 before this. The truck does have a problem with grinding up starters, but that is something I am working with.

What I do know, how to lock the hubs. The truck has manual locking hubs that from what I can tell, work. They definitely make turning not so fun. But something else seems to be happening when the hubs are locked and 4H is engaged. The ties seem to completely lock up when trying to move forward sometimes. The first time I tried testing 4H, I couldnt move an inch. The second time I tried, I drove around the parking lot just fine. I figured it was something I had done wrong. I recently had someone test drive the truck who knew a bit more than I did, and he said it felt like something was binding up.

So the problem is, I have no idea what to check or what could be wrong. The transfer case does seem to have a thick coat of oil on the outside, but really dont know how to check it. I do have the repair manual, but not knowing what to look for in the manual makes it kinda useless for now. Im looking to sell it so I can get back into a muscle car, but till I can I want to try to get this baby running fine. More so with winter coming up. I do know a guy with spare parts if something is broken, even a whole new transfer case. Im hoping I dont have to go that route.

Basically, what could be causing the truck to lock up in 4 wheel drive and what should I check? I love working on things but Im new to trucks and need a place to start.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

well first thing i would say is NEVER drive in 4 wheel drive on dry hard ground like pavement. its ok to run around a little bit with the hubs locked, like you are anticipating going off road shortly etc, but when you are all engaged and in gear it's expecting the tires to move more freely than the pavement will allow. think of a solid rear axle squealing tires around a turn on pavement vs not on gravel. so next i would say, go find a dirt trail or gravel lot somewhere and throw it in gear and see what happens
Old 10-30-2014, 12:49 AM

oh and the whole starter problem is probably old cables, get all new cables going from the battery to the solenoid and to the starter etc. the starters on that rig really are reliable so long everything that supports them are maintained, they can tend to dry and rot out due to water splashing on them and being right next to the exhaust
Old 10-30-2014, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will definitely take it off road as soon as I can, see if there really is a problem, and if so maybe narrow it down. I was looking up the wiring diagram for the start, I definitely will check that out. Hopefully I can find time to do both tomorrow. Gonna be snowing here soon, and its hard finding chains for my backup ride. They just dont sell them for motorcycles.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:14 AM

you dont need a diagram, the cables go from negative post to ground on starter, then positive post to solenoid, then from solenoid to starter again. 3 cables, dont get the cheap ones from the store, spend a few bucks more and have fewer issues in the future
Old 11-02-2014, 10:24 PM
vertical pin buster

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Are you sure both hubs are in the locked position. Turn right to lock. Left to unlock. Make sure you have to t-case in the 4 wheel drive position. And it probably wouldnt hurt to have transmission in nuteral. You shouldnt really tire to cut the wheels all the way to the lock then try to go if you can avoid it. Then if you still get binding. Pull your hubs. Check bearings ect. I doubt its in your transfer case. 208s are my least favorite but theyre reliable. Just some ideas
Old 11-30-2014, 06:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default xfr case

The xfr case should have two holes on the passenger side.Top one fill bottom one drain. Caution it may sound stupid but, it's an old truck so try to get the top one off or loose before you take the bottom drain plug out.I have herd stories about fellas who removed the drain plug first, probably because it was easy and moved first?. Any way you mentioned the xfr case has a coat of oil and dirt?, if so consider your self fortunate being able to see the truck in it's natural state rather than a real clean one some one has monkied with hay hay.

Love my 82 F-150.

Quick Reply: 1984 Ford F150 4x4 problems