Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1984 Clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Clutch replacement

New to the board, and new to working on trucks in general.

I have a 1984 F-150 I-6 manual transmission. Recently the truck started having difficulty slipping into 2nd gear. Now it's having trouble slipping into any gear, except reverse, while the truck is on. This usually happens in the morning. Now I just slip the truck into gear before turning the ignition.

A local autoshop says that I will need to replace the clutch, which is estimated to be around $350 and with labor brings total costs to over $1000.

Well, I'd rather buy the clutch online and replace it myself. How difficult of a job is this? Will I need expensive or unique tools? The extent of my auto knowledge so far is doing an oil change, replacing belts, and dropping and replacing a fuel tank.

-Mancha
Old 06-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TsanChoPanza
New to the board, and new to working on trucks in general.

I have a 1984 F-150 I-6 manual transmission. Recently the truck started having difficulty slipping into 2nd gear. Now it's having trouble slipping into any gear, except reverse, while the truck is on. This usually happens in the morning. Now I just slip the truck into gear before turning the ignition.

A local autoshop says that I will need to replace the clutch, which is estimated to be around $350 and with labor brings total costs to over $1000.

Well, I'd rather buy the clutch online and replace it myself. How difficult of a job is this? Will I need expensive or unique tools? The extent of my auto knowledge so far is doing an oil change, replacing belts, and dropping and replacing a fuel tank.

-Mancha
It may be your clutch. Also, it may just be some adjusting of your clutch linkage. If your 84 has solid clutch linkage then try to lengthen it to where you can get the transmission into gear.

But, to replace a clutch, it takes more labor than parts cost.

1. Jack up the truck high enough so you can get under it and out with a transmission on your chest. Always use jack stands and make sure the truck is firmly on the stands.
2. Remove the drive shaft, shift linkage, speedometer cable and reverse light switch wires.
3. Support the back of the engine and remove the cross member.
4. Your exhaust should have enough clearance to not worry about.
5. Remove the bolts that hold the transmission to the bell housing.
6. The Trans should be ready to pull out but you will want to support it with something as you pull it out because it will be heavy.
7. Remove the bell housing
8. Remove the pressure plate and clutch plate (remember the way the clutch plate goes together with the pressure plate. It won’t go back together backwards.
9. When you buy a clutch plate, you should have your pressure plate serviced or replaced (Resurface like your break rotors).
10. I’d have the fly wheel resurfaced too.
11. Now it all goes back together in the reverse order

Done. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1984 Clutch replacement