Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1981 Ford Ranger F-150 Emergency Flasher

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 Ford Ranger F-150 Emergency Flasher

I have an 81 f150 and I cannot find the emergency flasher relay.
When I pull the flasher out they dont work but when I hit the brakes the dash lights come on. Here is a picture of my Fuse block and the only flasher there is for the turn signals. Please help.
Attached Thumbnails 1981 Ford Ranger F-150 Emergency Flasher-f150-fuse-block.jpg  
Old 12-23-2009, 06:18 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The flasher for the turn signals also doubles for the emergency flasher went the switch is activated. If your dash lights come on when you hit the brakes it is usually a ground fault problem. The first thing to do is to inspect the fuse block for corrosion, pull the fuses and inspect then for corrosion. get yourself a cheap Volt Ohm Meter at Radio Shack or at a Auto Parts store. use this meter to track voltages. I am sorry to say there is really is no short cuts when it comes to tracking these kinds of electrical faults it can be a real PIA to find them but with the meter you will find the problem. In your case I would track back the voltage from the dash lighting to find out where the voltage is coming from. My guess is it will be something in the fuse block or the wiring to it.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine were malfunctioning and sometimes still do, i just cracked open the plastic piece between the wheel and the dash and wiggled the wires around. fixes temporarily.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check behind the fuse block

On the 1981 Ford Ranger XLT I recently acquired the fuse block was hanging down. The screws were missing that holds it to the inside fire wall. Upon inspecting it I noticed that it had two flashers with one on front with the fuses and one on the rear side. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 1981 Ford Ranger F-150 Emergency Flasher