Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1980 F150 Ranger XLT

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 F150 Ranger XLT

Hey guys, so in mid-August I bought a pretty beat up f150 ranger xlt (1980), there is very little that does not need to be replaced on it, however my father and I have already done most of the replacing that need be done under the hood and she now runs like a dream. This particular pickup has a 351w V8 in it, it is automatic with 4 speeds and has a holly carb on it. I love the thing and it has a lot of work to be done, it is not too high up on my priorities list currently but I would like to know what advice y'all have for getting better gas mileage, and for increasing my towing capability. I will be posting pictures soon!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:28 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Stock size tires with light weight alloys. An e-fan swap seems to be popular with netting some more MPG's. Most of the MPG war is sadly operator. While you can gain some here and some there, it will only really work if you drive appropriately. If you hammer it, it doesn't matter what you do, that 351 will suck the gas something fierce.

Make sure the breather is clear and unclogged. Check for vaccuum leaks if you haven't already replaced all of the hoses (good idea and cheap for peace of mind). Those are some ideas, I'm sure people have more for you. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1980 F150 Ranger XLT