Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1978 wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 wheel bearing

ok, so here is my situation......my girlfriend bought a 1978 f150 and the rear left wheel bearing keeps going out. it has gone out (disinerated) twice in about 2 months....... my question is.....why?? does anyone have a detailed parts breakdown? maybe im missing something. its just frustrating. any help appreciated!!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry no parts breakdown here, only memory. Three types of axle bearings come to mind. 1, a sealed bearing which is pressed onto alxe shaft. 2, an open bearing pressed onto axle which is lubed thru the gear oil of the rear end. And 3, a roller type bearing installed into the axle housing, which is also lube by the gear oil.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...l-bearing.html check this out. i believe you need a packed sealed bearing set. the standard roller bearings that are lubed with the gear oil must not be used for the 9" rear ends. but i would check this out or possibly it might mean your bearings are not getting adequate gear oil and just burn up.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hwy101_Ranger
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...l-bearing.html check this out. i believe you need a packed sealed bearing set. the standard roller bearings that are lubed with the gear oil must not be used for the 9" rear ends. but i would check this out or possibly it might mean your bearings are not getting adequate gear oil and just burn up.

yes, this is the type of bearings that i have installed in it twice. when i got the truck there was another oil seal a little further down the axle shaft...when i replaced them the auto parts store said that i did not need it for these bearings, so i didnt install one, so this last time i replaced it i did not install one either. i made sure that the fluid was full, and i know now that fluid is getting to the bearing, cause there is a little leaking out around the axle now(another thing that i have to fix).

is there anything else that goes in there?? is it only held in by the four bolts on the face of the axle shaft? someone said something to me about c-clips? where do they go?? if there is any....
Old 11-12-2011, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well this is where u should take the advice of a professional in my opinion. keep us informed. cheers!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:08 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The C-clip is used on the slide out axle. That the third type I mentioned. Diff cover has to be removed, axle is pushed inward slightly, clip is removed and axle will slide out. No bolts need to be undone out at the brake area.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:18 PM

ok, so first i dont have a diff cover....its a 9 inch. and second i cannot remove the center section without removing the axles first............so we must not be talking about a 9 inch, cause every 9 inch that i have ever seen dont have a diff cover.......idk maybe im wrong??
Old 11-13-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by 78ford1
ok, so here is my situation......my girlfriend bought a 1978 f150 and the rear left wheel bearing keeps going out. it has gone out (disinerated) twice in about 2 months....... my question is.....why?? does anyone have a detailed parts breakdown? maybe im missing something. its just frustrating. any help appreciated!!
This will sound dumb but is it posible that the the bearing was pressed onto the axle backwards this would reverse the axial load on the rollers. I dont know if this is possible but looking at the picture it seems doable. Bubbabud 2011 XLT SC Ecoboost

Quick Reply: 1978 wheel bearing