Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1978 f150 front end parts

Old 01-16-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 f150 front end parts

Alright guys im new here, and also new to these types of trucks and set ups . I just dove into buying (wife talked me into it) a 1978 F150 custom 4x4. Its a little rough but seems like it runs strong. We just wanted to play around in something.
So the steering feels all out of wack. lots of play in the wheel. I checked the tie rods and ball joints and they have just a smidge of play. I think most of the problem is my steering needs tightened up but I figured I would replace these parts before I tightened that up. I was curious how crucial it really was to have zero play in the tie rods etc. I know its not good to have any at all, but I wasn't sure with this being the set up and what ill use the truck for. taking into consideration the lift, age of the truck, and tires, I didn't know how much brand new parts would really affect it. like I said its not horrible, but if my DD truck had the same problem, I would go ahead and replace the parts.
So I am having trouble finding replacement parts. Idk if its a different axle or what. I didn't know if anyone could help out. Thanks
Old 01-17-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Found lots of parts represented on rockauto that you'll need (link below). Look only at 4wd parts (obviously). 1x center link, 2x tie rod ends (one long, one short), a new tie rod adjusting sleeve, and you're good to go. You also have a steering dampener that should probably be replaced while you're at it (the shock-absorber with the orange boot). Don't forget to replace the steering knuckle king pins too.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...nter+link,7276
The following users liked this post:
Hairball78 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

Those trucks never had what you would call "precise" steering. Great old trucks, but they are limited to what they are, mostly because of the technology or the time. Lifting them only makes it worse.

That being said, they can be made to steer at least reasonably well and the parts that can go wrong/wear are fairly small in number.

It looks like someone has already installed a drop pitman arm, which helps with the drag link angles on a lifted truck.

I would look closely at the steering box and it's mounts. The recirculating ball was never very precise, but any amount of wear turns them absolutely sloppy. Big tires only make that happen faster.

I can't remember if they had a "rag joint" in the steering shaft in those years. Might want to have a look there. If it does, they tend to go pretty soft over time which leads to steering wheel slop.
The following users liked this post:
Hairball78 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 09:06 AM

Thanks for your help guys I appreciate it. Im going to begin tearing some parts out today so I can get this thing goin! I'll post updates if I find other problems
Old 01-20-2017, 08:26 AM

well I picked up some moog tie rods, new drag link, and a rancho steering stabilizer. ill be working on it the first of the week so im sure ill find more things that need fixed!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:20 AM

While they're all gonna be old parts and everything likely need to be replaced, I recommend you do the diagnosis before buying a bunch of stuff so you'll at least know what you're fixing and why.

Jack up the front end and have someone push/pull each tire in different directions. Watch the parts underneath for what is moving when it should not be. You shouldn't be seeing the ball joints on the tie rod ends move without pushing the rod too. Also take a look at the rag joint (where the steering column connects to the power steering pump) while turning the steering wheel a few inches left to right. If it's moving a lot before the tires start turning, you might need to replace that part too.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Braggs
While they're all gonna be old parts and everything likely need to be replaced, I recommend you do the diagnosis before buying a bunch of stuff so you'll at least know what you're fixing and why.

Jack up the front end and have someone push/pull each tire in different directions. Watch the parts underneath for what is moving when it should not be. You shouldn't be seeing the ball joints on the tie rod ends move without pushing the rod too. Also take a look at the rag joint (where the steering column connects to the power steering pump) while turning the steering wheel a few inches left to right. If it's moving a lot before the tires start turning, you might need to replace that part too.

Yea I went through some trial and error and that's how I got where I am right now with needing new parts. my rag joint was shot so I ordered a new one of those.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:46 AM

anyone have any input on a new Lower Intermediate Steering Shaft? the U joint in mine has a tiny bit of side to side play. not a whole lot, but a little. I thought it had more play in it then it until i got it off. Seems like i have a little up, down, side to side play in my steering column where the rag joint connects to. thoughts on the Borgeson 977 lower steering shaft? i wasn't sure how it would hold up since its telescopic and all .
Old 01-26-2017, 09:45 PM

I got all my parts in and I should have this thing back together tomorrow. I was curious about a couple things and hoped someone could help.
what kind of torque do I put on the tie rod castle nut? Drag link?
And also, I notice one end of my drag kink doesn't have a spot for a grease fitting, is this normal?
Old 01-27-2017, 02:35 PM

- Torque spec unknown. I tightened mine snug with rachet and then put the cotter pin in to make sure it wouldn't come loose.
- Same with drag link/center link
- Some have grease zerks, some don't. It depends on what you buy. I prefer the grease-able ones myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1978 f150 front end parts