Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1977 351M oil leak trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 351M oil leak trouble

Hello, I have a 1977 F250 351M with 4 speed tran. I bought it at the begining of the summer in 15 and it has been leaking oil pretty bad since about October of 15. I have changed out the rear main seal, oil pan gasket and both valve cover gaskets and still have not fixed it. From what i can see all of the oil is coming out on the drivers side. I know this part sounds kinda dumb but it looks like the oil is coming out of the fuel pump. I know it is not in the fuel pump and should not be able to get there. The truck runs and drives like a dream but just has this terrible oil leak. It is spitting out about a half quart for every 30 ish miles. It does not look like it is the head gasket, I "think" the head gasket is fine. What I have heard from talking to people is that it could be the fuel pump mounting gasket or the timing chain gasket. I just want to have a few more aspects on it before i end up spending more money than needed. Just ask if you need anymore information.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

I would change the fuel pump gasket they are not that expensive, If you engine is like mine the oil filter is also in that area. If it is I would check and see if it is loose or leaking
Old 01-13-2016, 10:24 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

For what it costs, I'd change the fuel pump as well while youre in there. Diaphragm and check valves wear out in them.
The fuel pump is directly in the oil galley so it can very well have oil leaking out of or around it.
The following users liked this post:
fordfam6245 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-14-2016, 09:05 PM
vertical pin buster

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Fuel pump runs off the cam. Oil works it's was along the arm of the fuel pump and seeps thru the wore or loose gasket. If there is a gasket there.
fordfam6245 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-17-2016, 11:58 PM

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Front seal

On mine the leaks were from the front main seal, harmonic balancer and the timing cover. The rotation of the engine threw the oil to the drivers side and coated everything. Was leaking a lot of oil too. Took a sleeve on the balancer, new main seal in the timing cover and a new gasket in the timing cover to fix it.

Mechanic friend of mine told me with oil leaks start in the front at the top and work your way down and back.

If it isn't your oil pump the leak may look there. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fordfam6245
Hello, I have a 1977 F250 351M with 4 speed tran. I bought it at the begining of the summer in 15 and it has been leaking oil pretty bad since about October of 15. I have changed out the rear main seal, oil pan gasket and both valve cover gaskets and still have not fixed it. From what i can see all of the oil is coming out on the drivers side. I know this part sounds kinda dumb but it looks like the oil is coming out of the fuel pump. I know it is not in the fuel pump and should not be able to get there. The truck runs and drives like a dream but just has this terrible oil leak. It is spitting out about a half quart for every 30 ish miles. It does not look like it is the head gasket, I "think" the head gasket is fine. What I have heard from talking to people is that it could be the fuel pump mounting gasket or the timing chain gasket. I just want to have a few more aspects on it before i end up spending more money than needed. Just ask if you need anymore information.
For the nominal cost, buy the mechanical fuel pump and gasket from a Ford dealer, clean the block and install the new assembly using torque specs. (the dealer can advise).
fordfam6245 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-26-2016, 09:32 AM

My 351 is coating the driver side exactly the way you say "hamviper". When I get some time I will try this for sure. I have a new fuel pump gasket to add on it as well since it is only $3. Thanks for all the help everybody. I will let you know what ends up getting it.

Last edited by fordfam6245; 01-26-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:28 PM

I am sorry it has taken me this long to get back to you all but the oil pump was the fix!!! I was in the process of changing the oil pump gasket and I noticed oil actually coming out of the oil pump itself! Thank you to all that helped.

Quick Reply: 1977 351M oil leak trouble