Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1976 F150 Extended Cab Restore Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1976 F150 Extended Cab Restore Questions

I haven't gotten the truck home yet. Or out of the grass for that matter. I've seen it once and I'm getting it for free, so I've got some questions.
Rot. I'm in Ohio, and I believe she's been sitting in the dirt for at least 10 years. My question is, how bad could the frame be? How solid are these frames, and is it likely that it'll be shot? The floorboard is rotted about a fist sized hole on the drivers side next to the switch for the high beams.
I don't want to get my hopes up to find that it's a lost cause, and I won't be picking it up for a couple weeks. I'd just like to rest my mind a little on it, this is my dream truck and I don't want to get screwed over before I've got it home. Thanks to anyone who might have an idea!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:31 PM
Triton54HD

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

if you are getting it for free...you are not going to get screwed over. to me looks like a lot of work, but well worth it in the end if you are willing to put the work into it.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:04 AM

time and work isn't an issue for me, I have no deadline and am going to take this on in my free time while I'm in college. And my parents and girlfriend don't think I'll be able to save it, which is a hell of a motivation to prove them all wrong because when I first saw this all I saw was potential.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I presume you want an honest opinion .....
While anything is possible, some projects make more sense than others. That truck is in really rough shape.
Unless it has some really special sentimental value, you would be way, way further ahead to pay for one that's a more solid platform to start with.
Restorations take a lot of time and money even if you're doing all the work yourself.
From what I can see you will have 2000 into that truck in no time and still not even be close to getting it to the condition that a truck that you pay 2000 for will be in (with a long, long way still to go).
I'm not saying you can't accomplish it, just that it would make a whole lot more sense to pay even 1000 for a truck that isn't so far gone and start restoring from there.
You'd be surprised what you can find for 1000 -1500 if you're patient and spend some real time looking. Then go back and look at the one in the field.
Your parents and g/f said you couldn't do it but I doubt if they meant it as a challenge to your ability. Don't let your pride get in the way of making a sound, sensible decision.
That's the advice I'd give to one of my kids anyway. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:39 AM

Thanks. I'm working a minimum wage part time job and going to college, so I'd rather pay more over the long run than less right now. I can't go out and buy one for $1000-1500 now, but I can afford to piece it together a little bit at a time. I get that it's a big chunk of money and a lot of work, but I'm up for the challenge.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're getting it for free, awesome. If you can get it rolling you can always sell it if it becomes too overwhelming. Although if you're getting a salvage title, that value will be quite diminished.
Good luck!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:21 PM

Has original title, found it in the glove box. And keys. I'm getting it transferred in a couple weeks then getting her home
Old 04-09-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome. Huge bonus imo.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by stowbilly96
Thanks. I'm working a minimum wage part time job and going to college, so I'd rather pay more over the long run than less right now. I can't go out and buy one for $1000-1500 now, but I can afford to piece it together a little bit at a time. I get that it's a big chunk of money and a lot of work, but I'm up for the challenge.
I hear you. Just wanted to point out that that particular truck might have passed it's "best before" date.
You'll have your work cut out for you, but if you're determined to make it happen then let us know if you need any advice along the way. And keep us posted , pics and all, we'll be interested to see how it's going.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by 504'd
That's awesome. Huge bonus imo.
I was pretty damn excited when I found it.

And I'll definitely keep you guys posted. It all depends on the shape the frame is in when I get it out of the dirt. The cab isn't as bad as it looks, but the bed is messed up. I'm probably going to use it for sheet metal, I know a guy who had several beds that are fixable, and he specializes in Ford trucks.

Quick Reply: 1976 F150 Extended Cab Restore Questions