Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Yet Another IWE Problem

Old 08-12-2010, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Yet Another IWE Problem

I have had the chain dragging, grinding racket in my front end for about a month now. I have changed the IWE on the firewall, over to the new design. My luck has seemed to stay strong with the remedies I've tried,still not fixed!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where to go from here? I've never messed with these IWE set ups, and I'm not sure what kind of steps I need to take. I don't want to just randomly replace parts and hope I fix it. What should I start checking, and in what order?
After countless problems and bitching to Ford, I'm thinking about giving up on my brand all together. thanx
Old 08-20-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your vacuum box first. It's located between your fender and battery. It's a small box with a vacuum line attached at the bottom facing the firewall. I spent hours tracing lines and checking vacuum pressure to try to fix the problem. I even went out and bought the IWE actuator. Luckily I checked the box before I tore into my hub and found it had split completely open on the bottom. If your box was split like mine you can either buy a new one from Ford (Ford only part) or do what I did and RTV the hell out of it and call it a day. I haven't had any problems since. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:16 AM

Pull the lines off the actuators and vacuum test them, then perform the same test on your actuators. You will find your problem. Also look at your check valves to insures they are still good. I had a bad iwe solenoid, bad check valve, and a split vacuum line. A vacuum pump is a must and can be rented from most parts stores.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:49 AM

What is IWE? Tracka96
Old 08-21-2010, 11:38 PM

Heres the TSB on the IWE (Integrated Wheel end)
ISSUE:
Some 2004-2006 F-150 and 2006 Mark LT 4X4 vehicles built before 4/24/2006 may exhibit a noise in 2 wheel drive from the front Integrated Wheel Ends (IWE) and/or the 4X4 system being inoperative. The IWE solenoid may have ingested water and passed it to the IWE system causing water contamination in the vacuum portion of the system. A shorted IWE solenoid can set the codes C1979 and C1980. If either code is present, the 4WDH light will be inoperative.

ACTION:
Use the following Service Procedure to check and repair the 4X4 system.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the IWE solenoid. Torque the new design bracket and solenoid to 62 lb-in (7 N-m). It will be necessary to remove the vacuum lines from each IWE down at the wheels to check for water being present.
If no water is present at the vacuum line at the IWE, install the new solenoid with bracket. Reconnect all vacuum hoses.
If water is present allow it to drain from the vacuum lines. Then follow the updated procedure outlined in 2006 Workshop Manual (WSM) on-line version, Section 308-07A, Pin Point Tests B21 and B22. These tests checks IWE leak rates with vacuum and will remove any residual water from the IWE. Reconnect all vacuum hoses.
If the IWE looses vacuum quicker than specification. Refer to WSM, Section 204-01B for normal diagnostic procedures.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This should help:
http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...then-some.html
Old 07-19-2013, 07:56 PM

Default Iwe problems

I have a 2005 F150 5.4 4x4 with the IWE problems. I heard the famous grinding sound almost like a heat shield rattling around. After towing 350 miles home from camping, I researched and found out the info about the IWE. I replaced the solonoid with the updated version, and replaced the right side actuator as it was shredded from driving with the problem. I still had the noise. I checked the vacuum box behind the battery and it was holding with out issues. I located a check valve that was bad and that solved the problem for about 150 miles. Have the noise again!!!! Vacuum tested the actuators at 13 inch merc each, and 23 from the motor. All check valves are good, supply box is good and even smoked the system and could not locate a leak. Checked the solonoid fuse and all is good. I am at a loss, and took it to the dealer who again checked all of the above and could not find a problem. ANY HELP would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:35 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Maybe your hub assembly has a bearing going out. Does it make the noise in 4wd
Old 07-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Little Whitey

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the same boat going to try to get them replaced on Monday.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 PM

No noise in 4x4. This all began while towing a camper 350 miles. Also started to have an exhaust leak on the right side. Gonna fix the exhaust leak and then start all over again. Can't see how exhaust leak at the manifold would effect the iwe but it needs to be fixed and it can't hurt to see if it works

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet Another IWE Problem