Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't start

I have a f-150 1991 custom inline 6 I have had this truck down more than up. Obviously I bought it used, but all I heard was how great the engine is. So far I have replaced the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, need to replace the head gasket but am saving up for that little gem, the starter, the alternator, the distributor cap and plugs and wires, the ignition coil also. Here is my question....I am driving along and all of the sudden it just kicks off and we slow roll to the side of the road. I now can no longer get it started. I replaced the fuel filter and the starter solenoid today. What else can I try?
Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.
Chris
Old 04-22-2014, 12:29 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Start with the basics. There is only 3 things needed to make her run. Ignition, fuel and compression. To confirm it is not a fuel problem get some ether spray (starting fluid) and have someone help you spray it over the filter box while cranking. If it fires up, it's in the fuel system. There is a filter in the frame rail under the drivers side that you may have already changed. It can also be the fuel pump.
If not it's an electrical issue. It could be your camshaft position sensor. Google it for location. Good luck and feel the forum force Luke. lol
The following users liked this post:
stitch1769 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

That year also has an ignition control module located either on the bottom of the distributor, or on the drivers side inner fender, forget what year they moved it from the distributor, but they can go bad, causing your symptoms.

Quick Reply: won't start