Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Wondering if I need a new computer

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering if I need a new computer

Hello, to anyone who can shed some knowledge thank you in advance. So I have a 1992 Flairside xlt, with a 5.0 V 8 fuel injected engine. About two days after getting an oil change it stopped working. The starter cranks, and if a wait a while in between attempts it will catch for a second before stopping. I myself have the ability to understand most mechanical concepts, but not much experience. I had a friend who has been working on cars for 30 plus years to help me diagnose. Here is the skinny:

The fuel pump works, there is fuel pressure at a shrader valve near the engine block, notice picture of location. Wondering if I need a new computer-image-2.jpg. We checked a lead for spark, which we do have, the distributor rotates, so we believe the issue isn't ignition. He only had a hour or so to query, but it lead him to believe that maybe the computer went, and isn't telling the fuel injectors to open when needed. I tried cleaning the computer connector pins first to see if that was the issue and it was not. Now before I go and buy a computer, I was wondering if there was other things I should try first.

Another piece of info: I did have another issue since I've owned the truck and that was a chocking out when first starting the truck after it has been sitting for a while, especially when it was cold. If I revved the engine or let sit idle for a while it would go away in a couple of minutes, but if I put into gear it would cut out or heavily oscillate RPM. Some people thought vacuum leak or IAC or something like that. Not sure if what ever causes that became so bad that it now prevents my truck from starting. here is a link to that issue w/ video:https://www.f150forum.com/f12/transm...-issue-223827/

Again thank you to anyone who can help.

Quick Reply: Wondering if I need a new computer