Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Windows are stuck! What is wrong and how much is it gonna cost to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Professional Screw-Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows are stuck! What is wrong and how much is it gonna cost to fix it?

Alright, first off, hello. I am new to this forum. Bought my first Ford, a F-150 at that. It's a 1990 Lariat extended cab. I'm at a point in my life where I have time to actually work and learn about my vehicle. No interruptions or obligations. This is my first vehicle aside from a 2005 Jeep Liberty I shared with my father. I bought it off of Craigslist for $1000 even. I've owned it for about 2 1/2 weeks. It has dual tanks, but only the front one works (Seller said it'd be an easy fix if I wanted it in working condition). It's in fantastic condition, not too many things wrong with it. The A/C does not work, which I'm fine with, I love the fresh cool air anyways. But that's where my problem resides: The passenger window will not roll up nor down. The button on the passenger door does not even make a sound, making me assume it's the motor that has gone out. However, on the driver's side door, the button that operates the window for the passenger side makes noise and you can hear the motor turning but the window just keeps sputtering and staying in place. And when I am driving, the window will fall down about 2 inches and stay. And when I manually raise it back up it falls again. Any idea what is going on? Also, driving home from work today, as I pulled into my driveway, I went to roll my driver's side window up and it seems as if it's stuck. I do not hear the motor working when I roll it up so I'm speculating that it's in the wiring. I bought this truck with the mind set that it is a few months shy of being 25 years old so it will have it fair share of problems.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, I bought this truck wanting to do the work myself, but seeing as how we're about to have rain for days here in Oklahoma, I'm needing to get my windows fixed and in working condition ASAP. So does anyone know about how much it would cost to take it to a shop and have them look at it? And if I need to post some videos or pictures of me showing you the problems, don't hesitate to ask! Thanks guys, it really mean a lot. I'm glad to be a part of the family.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:29 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Welcome. I would pull the door pad off and inspect the motor assembly, confirming there is power to the motor. Since the drivers switch operates the motor and the window falls down, you probably need a regulator for that door. PartsTrain.com has some great prices. You may also need a switch. You can also get these parts at a wrecking yard at a greatly reduced price. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
DrivingOnAnEmptyTank (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Professional Screw-Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc D
Welcome. I would pull the door pad off and inspect the motor assembly, confirming there is power to the motor. Since the drivers switch operates the motor and the window falls down, you probably need a regulator for that door. PartsTrain.com has some great prices. You may also need a switch. You can also get these parts at a wrecking yard at a greatly reduced price. Good luck

UPDATE: Weather was nice today, took the panel off only to discover that when the window fell, It apparently got jammed and stuck on something. Thing won't budge whatsoever. After looking around I found a video a guy made, where he beats the crap out of the regulator cause it's stuck. Basically, moisture has leaked into the panel (Truck is 25 years old, not surprising) causing the regulator to rust. So I smacked it with a hammer 4-5 times and Ta-Dah! Window is working perfectly. It is now rolled up and rain resistant. My passenger's side window is still not functioning properly but I can live with that till the rain stops. Thanks for your help!

Solution video:

Last edited by DrivingOnAnEmptyTank; 08-09-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:03 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm glad to hear you resolved the problem. Weather seals are always an issue and can be replaced at a minimal cost. I've done mine several times especially on the 45 year old truck.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:09 AM
'97 F150 V8 4.6L

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm going through the electrical issue now with my passenger window. The motors are cheap, about $40, if you need one. You can drill out the dimples but it sounds like you need to pull out the works anyway. The motor was probably stuggling to deal with the stuck situation, tapping it might free it up. And it might free it up only for a little while so you might consider replacing it while you are in there.

Quick Reply: Windows are stuck! What is wrong and how much is it gonna cost to fix it?