Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Why does my Air Conditioner smell like gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my Air Conditioner smell like gas?

I have an 07 Lariat crewcab, 2wd.
I bought this truck about a month ago.
The dealership has 'looked at' the problem and didnt come up with anything.
They even said that, 'this is something we dont see very often.'

The problem im having is anytime im stopped (red light, stop sign, sitting in the driveway) I have a slight gas smell blowing through my AC.
Its not super strong, but its enough to notice every time i stop.

Also, the smell doesnt last the entire time your stopped. The vapors blow through for about a minute, then stop.

At first i thought it was something to do with the brakes, so one day i started the truck and just sat in it, no brakes, and the smell still came.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you find the cause of the smell? I have the same thing going on, although it is with the heater or ac, maybe without either. not real strong and kind of like old gas thats been around for a while. It's driving me crazy. Can't find a leak anywhere.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still havent found the problem. Honestly though, i havent had time to really look.
The next thing im going to try is, find where my AC intakes its air and look around for cracked hoses.
It would have to be near the AC intake because the smell isnt strong enough to be a major leak somewhere...
With summer coming on id really like to fix it because this Louisiana heat is already in the upper 80's.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:15 PM
DIY

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Check for a leaking fuel tank vent hose leading to the EVAP canister. The hose may have come adrift and the smell goes away after the fuel tank depressurizes while the engine is running. See if this hose is near the exhaust pipe or exhaust manifold and has come in contact with either of these items thus burning a hole through the hose.
If everything checks out OK, suspect a faulty EVAP canister.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:16 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

If the plugs have been replaced recently than they need to be re-torqued. This is very common

Quick Reply: Why does my Air Conditioner smell like gas?