Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Whining noise while in motion

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise while in motion

Hi All,

I've been experiencing a whining noise while in motion lately. It does not do it at idle at all so I'm having a hard time diagnosing it. I did read the engine whistle thread but I don't see anything that indicates whether those issues occur at idle or not.

The sound doesn't seem to increase or change with engine revs (idle or parked) but it does with motion speed, so I was ruling out the alternator and suspecting front end issues.

I took a video of it today and uploaded to youtube, the noise starts at about 8 seconds in:
. Sorry for covering up the screen, I didn't want to drop my phone on the pavement. As I park the noise stops.

Also, it has had that diesel-sounding idle for the last three years, so I haven't worried about that.

My truck's specs:
2004 Screw new body style FX4, 5.4L, 140k.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by jlboan
Hi All,

I've been experiencing a whining noise while in motion lately. It does not do it at idle at all so I'm having a hard time diagnosing it. I did read the engine whistle thread but I don't see anything that indicates whether those issues occur at idle or not. The sound doesn't seem to increase or change with engine revs (idle or parked) but it does with motion speed, so I was ruling out the alternator and suspecting front end issues.
You say that it 'whistles' while in motion, but then describe it making the noise at idle, and how it doesn't change with engine speed while in N or P.
Does it make the noise when you fire it up and sit there IDLING(by 'Idling', I mean ZERO input from you on the accelerator)? Does it make the noise when you give it gas while either in N or P? If so, DOES it change at all from what it sounds like at idle ?

What about when you're driving down the road and accelerate or decelerate...does it change in pitch or sound in either of these situations?
How about when you're driving down a hill and you let it coast in D? While coasting in N? If you haven't done either of these, please do so and let me know. If you don't have any hills near-by, find a flat road that'll allow you to run it up to a decent speed, then let it coast first in Drive, then in Neutral. You'll need to find a speed that will let the truck coast for several seconds without decelerating so you can pay close attention to the noise, or be certain that it's not making it.
I'm wanna know if its tied to the powertrain or running gear, or neither.
Usually 'whistling' is caused by air entering or exiting a small hole at speed(the speed of the air itself, not the speed of the vehicle), so It's prolly just a minor intake leak caused by a clamp coming loose, or a fastener on the airbox popping out.

Last edited by yokev; 01-03-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by yokev
You say that it 'whistles' while in motion, but then describe it making the noise at idle, and how it doesn't change with engine speed while in N or P.
Does it make the noise when you fire it up and sit there IDLING(by 'Idling', I mean ZERO input from you on the accelerator)? Does it make the noise when you give it gas while either in N or P? If so, DOES it change at all from what it sounds like at idle ?

What about when you're driving down the road and accelerate or decelerate...does it change in pitch or sound in either of these situations?
How about when you're driving down a hill and you let it coast in D? While coasting in N? If you haven't done either of these, please do so and let me know. If you don't have any hills near-by, find a flat road that'll allow you to run it up to a decent speed, then let it coast first in Drive, then in Neutral. You'll need to find a speed that will let the truck coast for several seconds without decelerating so you can pay close attention to the noise, or be certain that it's not making it.
I'm wanna know if its tied to the powertrain or running gear, or neither.
Usually 'whistling' is caused by air entering or exiting a small hole at speed(the speed of the air itself, not the speed of the vehicle), so It's prolly just a minor intake leak caused by a clamp coming loose, or a fastener on the airbox popping out.
Sorry, not sure I made it clear enough. The noise DOES NOT happen at idle, at all. In park it doesn't happen. If I rev it in park or neutral, I still do NOT hear it.

The only time I can hear this is while in motion. The video is of me pulling into my parking lot through my apartment complex, as I'm driving through you can hear it (at about 10 to 15mph), then near the end as I pull into the parking spot and stop, you can hear the noise stop. It seems to stop just before the truck stops moving, like maybe 3 feet before I actually come to a stop. As I slow down, the noise gets deeper and seems to correlate with moving speed of the truck, at very low speeds, it basically changes from a whine to a crunch. The sound is still intermittent, with it only occurring some of the time. I'm beginning to think its a wheel bearing, its sounds to me like metal on metal, not like air blowing through a hole, especially since it happens at such low speeds (5 to 10mph) as well.

I was driving today and had the truck up to about 45 mph, I could hear the whine. I dropped it in neutral as I coasted a while, there was no change in the sound. Coasting in D and coasting in N had no difference in the sound, but it was still audible. As I hit the brakes, the sound got slower and deeper, so it definitely matches the speed of the wheels, not necessarily the engine. I revved it up in neutral while coasting and the whine did not change.

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by jlboan
Sorry, not sure I made it clear enough. The noise DOES NOT happen at idle, at all. In park it doesn't happen. If I rev it in park or neutral, I still do NOT hear it.

The only time I can hear this is while in motion. The video is of me pulling into my parking lot through my apartment complex, as I'm driving through you can hear it (at about 10 to 15mph), then near the end as I pull into the parking spot and stop, you can hear the noise stop. It seems to stop just before the truck stops moving, like maybe 3 feet before I actually come to a stop. As I slow down, the noise gets deeper and seems to correlate with moving speed of the truck, at very low speeds, it basically changes from a whine to a crunch. The sound is still intermittent, with it only occurring some of the time. I'm beginning to think its a wheel bearing, its sounds to me like metal on metal, not like air blowing through a hole, especially since it happens at such low speeds (5 to 10mph) as well.

I was driving today and had the truck up to about 45 mph, I could hear the whine. I dropped it in neutral as I coasted a while, there was no change in the sound. Coasting in D and coasting in N had no difference in the sound, but it was still audible. As I hit the brakes, the sound got slower and deeper, so it definitely matches the speed of the wheels, not necessarily the engine. I revved it up in neutral while coasting and the whine did not change.

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated!
Yeah, based on what you wrote, I agree. Pop the wheel bearings out, stick your finger in the 'Hole' and spin 'em. If they have ANY resistance whatsoever, replace 'em. If you notice they're dry when you pop 'em out, I'd replace 'em even if they seem to be 'okay'. They should ALWAYS be coated in grease.
No grease = RAGING friction and heat.

Last edited by yokev; 01-03-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 PM

Hey jlboan did you ever solve this issue? I just got my 07 F150 used, it has 160k and I have the EXACT same noise (thanks for the video/audio) and it's bothering the hell out of me.

Quick Reply: Whining noise while in motion