Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Whining noise on 2009 F150 2wd, 5.4L, 160K

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise on 2009 F150 2wd, 5.4L, 160K

Hey Guys, I've got a noise that has me stumped and would greatly appreciate your thoughts and expertise.

Whining noise gets louder with increase in speed and most noticeable from 30 to 55 mph. I first suspected tires since the sound was similar to what a tire sounds like if its belts begin to separate. Before getting new tires I checked all wheel bearings via lifting each wheel and tugging at the 12 and 6 position and did not detect any play. I checked the rear differential fluid and it was topped up. I noticed no unacceptable play in the driveline while the rear end was up. Since the tires were 75% done for I replaced them and am running michelin ltx's. Sound is as loud as ever! Damn. Maybe it's the ring and pinion after all. I do not think so since the noise does not change in pitch or frequency at all whether coasting or under load. To make sure, I drive it at 70mph up a long incline, take my foot off the gas and kick it into neutral and for sure notice no change at in pitch or frequency. Does this rule out ring and pinion? And for that matter, does this test rule out anything else to do with the transmission or driveshaft, (or alternator, as has been mentioned in other posts)? So I check the wheel bearings again. And I really horsed on the tires at the 12 and 6 position this time. Got a slight bump on the rear axles so I replaced the rear wheel bearings. Sound is still there!!! Double damn!!! Thanks for reading and any help you can give.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having this issue as well, whining noise (no wife involved lol) coming from the rear of the vehicle. 2007 5.4ltr 4X4, with 125K miles. I've had the axle oil levels checked and topped off with no chage in noise, it does sound to be getting loader as time goes on!

Quick Reply: Whining noise on 2009 F150 2wd, 5.4L, 160K