Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Where should I buy a new engine???

Old 11-22-2015, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where should I buy a new engine???

I seem to have the dreaded head gasket oil leak on my 2001 F-150 4x4 Supercrew with the 5.4 Triton. (Oil leaking both in the valley and occasionally down the back onto the starter to the ground) Since it has 181K on it, I am not going to mess with changing head gaskets, I am going to replace the motor. The rest of the vehicle is in excellent shape inside and out so no sense spending $50K for a new truck.

That said, who do the astute folks on this Forum recommend for a remanufactured engine? I am not going with Trickflow heads or anything fancy (would if I had the money though!!!) I just want a motor that will give me another 180K without problems.....
Old 11-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Geek Engineer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased my 4.2L long block from Rockauto.com . It only has about 2K miles on it, but I am happy with it so far.
The following users liked this post:
Captain C (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the info!!!!! I have been researching different companies on line, and checking their reviews, but not all of them have reviews. Nor are they very specific on the parts they use, and I haven't found one yet that replaces the camshafts. I know roller cams have a longer life than flat tappet cams, but I don't want one that came out of a motor with 200-300k miles on it! This is why I wanted to know who folks recommended. The end result is what matters most to me!
Old 11-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Never heard anything bad about Jasper motors...they come with a nice warranty...
Old 11-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Hooligan

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I know several guys that have gotten crap from Jasper.

OP, are you installing the motor yourself? If you're going to have a shop do it, let the shop order the block. That way your mechanic gets to work with a rebuilder he trusts, and any issues with the block or how it's installed are between the shop and the rebuilder. If you order it yourself you risk getting stuck between your mechanic and your rebuilder pointing fingers at you and eachother if something goes wrong.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My kid bought a Jasper engine and it was problem free.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Some guy

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Originally Posted by canddmeyer
My kid bought a Jasper engine and it was problem free.
The kid or the engine?
Old 11-24-2015, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by UtahGuy
I know several guys that have gotten crap from Jasper.

OP, are you installing the motor yourself? If you're going to have a shop do it, let the shop order the block. That way your mechanic gets to work with a rebuilder he trusts, and any issues with the block or how it's installed are between the shop and the rebuilder. If you order it yourself you risk getting stuck between your mechanic and your rebuilder pointing fingers at you and each other if something goes wrong.
Just a few years ago, I would have done it myself. Now, after five hernia operations, two knee surgeries, and stretched tendons and ligaments in both shoulders, I figure it will be cheaper to pay someone in the long run.

That said, I know the mechanic I trust will opt for a rebuild direct from Ford which will run about $4K with California taxes..... I was hoping to keep that part under/at $3K.......

BTW, the online reviews I have seen for Jasper have not been encouraging. Sounds like they don't stand behind their product..... Either you get a good product or you are stuck with the repair bill.....

Last edited by Captain C; 11-24-2015 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 11-25-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Ford remans are probably the best, and they have a good warranty. That being said, I also know money doesn't grow on trees.

Last edited by JCR 56; 11-25-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by JCR 56
Ford remans are probably the best, and they have a good warranty. That being said, I also know money doesn't grow on trees.
Sad thing is, I just spent $2200 dollars on paint and wheels for my car. If I had known this was going to happen, I wouldn't have spent the cash. This is probably going to have to wait until my tax return before I can repair it.

The leak is very minor at the moment, I don't see any problem driving it around town. (got AAA towing). But I know it could get worse at anytime so I can't take it to the beach or up into the back country until it gets fixed. Driving it back to Branson next year is out of the question if I don't get it fixed before our annual early summer migration.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where should I buy a new engine???