Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Wheel Hub Assy Replacement, 2005 Ford F150 V8 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Wheel Hub Assy Replacement, 2005 Ford F150 V8 2WD

Hey yall,

I need to replace the Wheel Hub Assys to my 2005 F150 V8 2WD.

The truck shakes alot when braking at high speeds (rotors warped for sure) and now its making a squealing and grinding noise when Im turning while in motion (Im guessing the bearings?).

Ive read up that the bearings on my truck are included in the wheel hub assy package.

Replacing the wheel hub assys would correct everything (at least I hope so).
However, right now, money is a factor since Christmas cleaned me out.

Ive been quoted $450 to have the wheel hub assys replaced.

I can handle the rotor warpage for now, but the bearing issue is whats really killing me. The noise is getting worse.

Until I get the money to get it done, is there any thing I can do temporarily for the squealing of the bearings??

Please help.
Merry Christmas
Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess there's nothing I can do?
Old 12-21-2011, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

adanvjr,

While I do not know your particular vehicle/design of the hub assembly, my experience tells me that when the bearings go bad with a hub assy that the only thing you can do its to replace the hub assy. As far as I can tell, the wheel/hub assy came into being when front wheel drive became the norm. Until then, the bearings were individually replaceable as were the bearing seals. I have replaced a few of the hub assemblies and they can be as easy to replace as individual bearing to extremely ******* difficult. From NAPA they cost close to $100 each. The first vehicle I replaced them on sounded like I was going to loose a wheel. But i could not feel any wear in the assy after removing them. The second one I replaced did not sound bad, but the wheel shake was bad and I could not believe it had not come apart.

Hopefully you can find some usefull info here.

Merry Christmas
Old 01-13-2012, 05:45 PM

I just had my hub bearing/rotors and lower ball joints replaced. Advance Auto Parts P/N YH145519 is the hub and rotor at@ 87.99 and the garage charged my $63 to replace my passenger side rotor/hub.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:22 PM
King of Useless Mods

I had that same issue, napa makes them for 250 and its pretty easy to install yourself. don't buy super cheap ones, keep in mind the hub is the only thing keeping the wheel on and straight... If left unfixed you wheel can actually fall off. but thats if left unfixed for a while.

Will
Old 01-13-2012, 07:34 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a job you can do. Here is a blow up of your front suspension. I believe you have to replace the hub nut, but I may be wrong. They sell separate replacement bearings for these hubs so you must be able to press in replacements the only thing is they cost over 50 dollars each. That is about a $100 bucks plus the labor to have then pressed in. The outfit below has the complete assembly for $177.48

http://fordpartsdiscountoutlet.com/ford/f150-parts/
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Hub Assy Replacement, 2005 Ford F150 V8 2WD-t089050.jpg  

Last edited by transmaster; 01-13-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Just buy brg hub/rotor assembly for that side. remove calliper and rent puller to get it off after loosining fastener nut. It may be quite tight on spindle. Figure most of the morning to do. Along with new brake pads. Not so much expense when done right, your done with that side. Then do the other side when you can with the next paycheck.

Quick Reply: Wheel Hub Assy Replacement, 2005 Ford F150 V8 2WD