Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Whats your take on this. Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats your take on this. Head Gasket

So I recently purchased a 91 F150 XLT and am having some issues.
The major being coolant or moisture in the oil.
Ive had 2 cars in the past with blown head gaskets and it was nothing like this.
There doesnt seem to be any noticable coolant loss. Doesnt smoke white from under the hood or the exhaust, though the exhaust does smell rich. Doesnt even run rough aside from it needing a tune up.
The only thing Im seeing is a little white foam on the end of the dipstick and a little under the cap and breather hose.
Now at some point in time some one put a short nubby hose where the valve cover breaths to a longer plastice hose that runs to the drivers side to another rubber hose that vents against the fire wall. When I pulled this nubby hose off today water ran out, definetly not coolant, no smell and it was clear.
Any ides
Old 12-14-2011, 04:00 PM

This just occured to me, could it be a blocked pvc valve.....if so where is it on this truck
Old 12-15-2011, 03:43 PM

anybody?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Trying to determine what engine you have, a 300 six or a 302. In any case, I am tending to agree with you about the head gaskets being the cause. Definately don't like the hose set up. Give us the engine and then the correct info will be available. I will say, its kinda normal for a little white stuff in and around the oil fill cap.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:27 PM

Old 12-17-2011, 05:39 PM

i need to change the pcv valve hopefully tonight, bc if its plugged up solid I believe this could b the cause. Also going to change the thermostat, seems to be overcooling. The gauge never goes past a quarter, when it should be around half.
Like I said no white smoke, doesnt run rough, no coolant loss. took it mr lube for an undercoating and the guy there said the same thing
As for the hose thinf, there is no place on the air box to plug another hose, I dunno, just gonna replace it with one of those little mini valve cover breathers
Old 12-17-2011, 06:20 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by *91f150*
i need to change the pcv valve hopefully tonight, bc if its plugged up solid I believe this could b the cause. Also going to change the thermostat, seems to be overcooling. The gauge never goes past a quarter, when it should be around half.
Like I said no white smoke, doesnt run rough, no coolant loss. took it mr lube for an undercoating and the guy there said the same thing
As for the hose thinf, there is no place on the air box to plug another hose, I dunno, just gonna replace it with one of those little mini valve cover breathers

I don't know where you are from your discription if you are in CAnada you may have a heated PCV and need to replace it and hook it up to remove moisture from the top side of your motor. It will condense and freeze up due to extreme conditions of heat cold heat cold not really getting the heck warmed up good all the time. Much the same used to happen to carbs and intake manifolds and heat riser tubes. :ta nk:
Old 12-17-2011, 06:46 PM

in moncton nb canada, already picked up the part looks like a regular pcv valve
Old 12-17-2011, 07:36 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by *91f150*
in moncton nb canada, already picked up the part looks like a regular pcv valve

Isopropyl gas line antifreeze and a taped up pepsi carton in front of 1/2 the radiator can do wonders around town. I've used Red Greens favorite duct tape to sturdy it up sum. LOL:wallba sh:
Old 12-18-2011, 01:07 AM

The weather has been really nice, above freezing by a few degrees most days. No snow for christmas this year, thank you very much

Quick Reply: Whats your take on this. Head Gasket