Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Water Leak at top rear corners of Crew Cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Water Leak at top rear corners of Crew Cab

It's been raining in my area quite a bit lately, and today while taking my kids to the movies...my kids in the back seat of my 2010 F150 Crew Cab noticed water dripping from the back corners of the headliner near the back glass - back corners meaning a leak on the passengers side just above the seat belt attachment and the same area on the drivers side - both dripping where the headliner touches the side panel cover and the rear glass.

I can actually see a waterline that has formed on the headliner and it appears the water is draining in two different directions depending on the attitude of the truck....it will drain toward the back glass if the truck is traveling or parked on an incline, and it will drain towards the door if the truck is parked on a decline.

Looking on the outside of the truck, it appears that water is getting in and around the black piece of rubber in each rear corner of the cab. These are the 6" long pieces of rubber that are just above the rear glass and are oriented lengthwise of the truck. They look like they are held in place with a rivet at each end, but one end is under the rear glass.

I'm thinking about pumping some glass sealer around these pieces to see if that fixes the problem...but, before I do....I wanted to check to see if anyone else has experienced this and how did you fix it.

Last edited by marshall256; 07-05-2013 at 08:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
W.Scott Lafferty (11-06-2020)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Most roof water leaks on our trucks have been traced to the center mounted brake light.

Might want to check that seal before you go other routes.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 PM

Brake light seal is good and no evidence of water leakage around it. I pulled and cleaned everything there, and all appears to be good.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:51 PM

My leak is just like this one, but not as bad. Found this on You Tube.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same leak! It was my window mounts nuts on the inside came loose. When I tightened them it squeezed water out of the rubbed. Stopped leaking since I tightened the window. I have a reg. cab though. Might want to check the nuts. Be careful when tightening, don't tighten too much or you might crack the glass.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Well, I went with the shotgun approach. After reviewing numerous threads on here discussing water leaks, I decided to hit just about every possibility. Since I'm out of warranty, I chose to make my own repairs.

I tightened the nuts on the rear windshield. They were pretty tight already, so I didn't tighten very much...and no evidence of water while tightening.

Next, I assume the two rubber strips at the top of the cab in the back corners are some sort of body seal...well, I caulked those up pretty good to make sure it's not leaking there.

Next, ran a bead of caulk around the top of the rear glass.

Last, pulled the 3rd Brake light and I packed that dude with caulk also, and then when I re-installed I caulked all the way around it.

I used a high temp RTV made mainly for windshield seals. It is black in color and good for most of the caulking I did with the exception of the 3rd brake light. A good clear caulk would work best at the 3rd brake and wouldn't be as noticeable as what I used.

Going to let everything cure in the garage for 24 hours and then we'll see how it works.
The following 2 users liked this post by marshall256:
dlaggan22 (01-30-2024), kevinkko (04-06-2016)
Old 07-08-2013, 10:40 AM

Update: After letting the RTV cure in the garage for 24 hours, I parked the truck back outside. It's been raining on and off for the past week, so I feel it's been tested out pretty good. No leaks discovered as of yet. Although, I did find one interesting thing this morning. While pulling down on the headliner in the rear corners looking for leaks, I noticed some black RTV. Obviously, the two exterior rubber straps on the top corners of the cab are concealing a leak point. I pumped quite a bit of RTV under each one and apparently the gap was big enough that RTV was forced into the cab. Hopefully, the leaking areas are now sealed!

Why it took 4 years for it to leak is beyond me. And why both areas started leaking at the same time is another mystery.
The following users liked this post:
dlaggan22 (01-30-2024)
Old 07-09-2013, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,
I have the same problem,
it is really linked to the inclinaison of the vehicle.
Water drips falls on the right or left rear seat.
I was suspected the black pieces
I will investigate the third brake light.

Alexandre
Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but apparently the sirus antenna is another leak point.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by marshall256
It's been raining in my area quite a bit lately, and today while taking my kids to the movies...my kids in the back seat of my 2010 F150 Crew Cab noticed water dripping from the back corners of the headliner near the back glass - back corners meaning a leak on the passengers side just above the seat belt attachment and the same area on the drivers side - both dripping where the headliner touches the side panel cover and the rear glass.

I can actually see a waterline that has formed on the headliner and it appears the water is draining in two different directions depending on the attitude of the truck....it will drain toward the back glass if the truck is traveling or parked on an incline, and it will drain towards the door if the truck is parked on a decline.

Looking on the outside of the truck, it appears that water is getting in and around the black piece of rubber in each rear corner of the cab. These are the 6" long pieces of rubber that are just above the rear glass and are oriented lengthwise of the truck. They look like they are held in place with a rivet at each end, but one end is under the rear glass.

I'm thinking about pumping some glass sealer around these pieces to see if that fixes the problem...but, before I do....I wanted to check to see if anyone else has experienced this and how did you fix it.
Use some clear silicone around your center brake light. 99% chance that is your fix. By the way Hurley, MS? Sweet I lived in Saucier (10 miles north of Gulfport) for a couple years right after Katrina. Good people in MS I won't steer you wrong

Quick Reply: Water Leak at top rear corners of Crew Cab