Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Warped rotors from rear end collision?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped rotors from rear end collision?

Hoping to get some opinions before I go back to the body shop.
I was rear ended on Memerial Day holiday on the interstate. I was slowed to almost a stop due to traffic, and the guy behind me didnt slow and hit me doing 60mph. The chevy truck that hit me was totalled, but my 150 was still drivable. However straight away I noticed significant shaking through the steering wheel etc when braking at high speed immediately after the collision.
Finally got my truck back yesterday after a month in the body shop, just took it for a highway run, and the shaking is still there when breaking at anything over 50mph. It feels like warped rotors, but I did not think that could happen as a result of getting rear ended. There was never any noticable shaking prior to the collision.
Any thoughts on whether it is the rotors, or something else, and whether it could be caused by getting rear ended?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Take it back to the shop that fixed it and let them drive it with you in it and they need to fix whatever it is...let the insurance people know whats going on. Stand by what you said that it never did that before and you need it fix right.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Thanks - I will do that.
just want to go in with as much knowlege as possible - you know they are going to try to say it was not caused by the accident!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The rotors aren't going to warp unless they were directly hit, which isn't likely unless the wheel is destroyed in the collision.

It's far more likely that a wheel or axle was bent. Have the shop measure wheel and axle flange runout using a dial indicator. Ford has a maximum spec for any runout on those parts.

(Of course, they should have already checked to make sure everything is still bolted up tight, including the wheel studs, and that nothing's cracked like a caliper or caliper bracket -- if you had the brakes on when you were hit, they could have seen a pretty high impact load.)
Old 07-03-2011, 01:02 PM

Default foot note

like they said take it back to the body shop, I had and issue while back found out the back axle bearing was bad and the installed a used drive shaft, I jacked up the rear end and put blocks of wood under the axle and had a friend get it going up to 60 mph and seen the shaft bouncing around.
ps look from the side of the truck don't get under it, and face the truck away for the house or garage
Old 09-22-2023, 11:40 AM

Default Rear End Collision causes Rotors to warp it is Extremely Common

Originally Posted by Rekker
Hoping to get some opinions before I go back to the body shop.
I was rear ended on Memerial Day holiday on the interstate. I was slowed to almost a stop due to traffic, and the guy behind me didnt slow and hit me doing 60mph. The chevy truck that hit me was totalled, but my 150 was still drivable. However straight away I noticed significant shaking through the steering wheel etc when braking at high speed immediately after the collision.
Finally got my truck back yesterday after a month in the body shop, just took it for a highway run, and the shaking is still there when breaking at anything over 50mph. It feels like warped rotors, but I did not think that could happen as a result of getting rear ended. There was never any noticable shaking prior to the collision.
Any thoughts on whether it is the rotors, or something else, and whether it could be caused by getting rear ended?

i have spent a month researching speaking to over a dozen mechanics including some family members and yes when you get rear end by another vehicle your rotors get warped this is extremely common and it happens most of the time a rear end collision occur , you have to be mindful some insurance companies take bribes or something like Geico and they will denied to pay and lie about the reason why to avoid it so be mindful, this is extremely common to happen from a rear end collision if Geico or other insurance doesn’t pay take them to court they will loose in a heart beat, unfortunately there is to much trickery out there.

Last edited by meccanizm; 09-22-2023 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-22-2023, 12:53 PM

Received 3,053 Likes on 1,684 Posts

Originally Posted by meccanizm
i have spent a month researching speaking to over a dozen mechanics including some family members and yes when you get rear end by another vehicle your rotors get warped this is extremely common and it happens most of the time a rear end collision occur , you have to be mindful some insurance companies take bribes or something like Geico and they will denied to pay and lie about the reason why to avoid it so be mindful, this is extremely common to happen from a rear end collision if Geico or other insurance doesn’t pay take them to court they will loose in a heart beat, unfortunately there is to much trickery out there.
Thread is 12 years old. I’m sure he’s long since figured it out.
Old 09-22-2023, 01:57 PM

Received 611 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
Thread is 12 years old. I’m sure he’s long since figured it out.
part of me thinks it's a bot, either way one of the dumbest posts I've seen

Quick Reply: Warped rotors from rear end collision?