Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

violent shaking while idling cold at a stop.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default violent shaking while idling cold at a stop.

Hello all,
First off, this is my first post as I am new to the F150 community. I purchased my truck used with approximately 88,000 mi on it in the spring. I now have 91xxx and with the mildly cold weather setting in (NJ), I noticed that my truck has formed a habit of violently shaking when at a stop. The episodes generally go as follows: I start the truck, let it run for a minute or two, then go on with my driving. Once I come to my first stop, anywhere from 2-5 minutes from initial start up, the truck begins to violently shake. It feels as if I'm sitting in a massage chair. The change in my cup holder begins to chatter, the whole nine yards. I noticed that if I put the truck in neutral when this happens, the shaking starts to go away. Once I put the truck back in drive, the shaking starts right back up. Once again this is only when cold and at a stop. Does anyone have any idea what may be going on? Any and all help is very much appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-14-2014, 02:18 PM

My truck has been shaking at stops recently also. I have been chasing misfire codes though so I thought that was it. If I figure it out I will let you know.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:08 PM

Ok I appreciate it thanks. I just threw a CEL, but narrowed it down to an O2 sensor. The shaking was occurring before the CEL came on, but do you think the two could be related?
Old 11-15-2014, 07:03 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Sounds like a misfire, check the codes.

Quick Reply: violent shaking while idling cold at a stop.