Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Vice Grip Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vice Grip Ignition

I bought an '88 Lariat XLT for $1K, nice looking truck. However, the owner has vice grips attached to something on the steering column and a push button to start. Where do I start to bring this back to normal? Thanks all.
Chad
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ChadXLT
I bought an '88 Lariat XLT for $1K, nice looking truck. However, the owner has vice grips attached to something on the steering column and a push button to start. Where do I start to bring this back to normal? Thanks all.
Chad
Without some sort of reference as to what they attached vise grips to its hard to say what you will need. If they did alot of damage in the steering column it might be cheaper to go to a salvage yard and buy a whole other column. They are easy to replace as a unit (easy being a relative term) That way you can test all the parts to make sure they work before you pull it out of the old truck. IF you do not want to do that then go to a salvage yard and see what they have vise gripped. I would say they have the steering lock open though, and I am assuming that the whole key assembly is missing. Good luck

Frank

Quick Reply: Vice Grip Ignition