Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Vehicle surges at idle and then stalls

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vehicle surges at idle and then stalls

Good Evening, Forum

I have a question and wanted to get input from you all. I just replaced my alternator yesterday. It had a bad bearing. I disconnected the battery cables to remove and replace the alternator. It solved the problem of eliminating the grinding sound coming from my alternator.

2007 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab 4.6l engine, AC

Immediately upon replacing the alternator, I began noticing the idling problem.my tach needle just jumps from about 400 to 1200 RPM constantly.
I have heard that it normally takes the ECM about 30 miles to recalibrate itself.

Is this true or should I be looking somewhere else. Never had the issue before replacing the alternator.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

i am not familiar on whether or not the battery relearn process applies to your year, i would imagine so, but did you follow these steps in this process? shouldnt need more than the 10 mile for it to relearn, but 15-20 is usually what i do

https://www.f150forum.com/f72/batter...rocess-133736/
The following users liked this post:
Gsanti61 (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up taking a two hour drive to San Antonio this weekend and by the time I arrived there my problem had disappeared. I guess it relearned it's previous settings.

Thank You for replying.

Quick Reply: Vehicle surges at idle and then stalls