Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

upper ball joint question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upper ball joint question

I replaced the lower ball joints when I got new tires on my 05 4x4. Now it seems the upper ball joints are squeaking when I hit a bump on the driver side and it annoys the **** out of me. I know that the best solution is to replace them, control arm and all. Price I found so far are 120, but they won't be here for five days.
Now my question, seeing as how ford in there infinite wisdom decided not to put zerks on the ball joints, has anyone tried drilling and tapping for a zerk before? If I did this it would only be a temp type thing as I know they need replaced, but it should/would stop the squeaking I would think. Any thoughts or opinions on this idea?
Old 04-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Average Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lennon2009
I replaced the lower ball joints when I got new tires on my 05 4x4. Now it seems the upper ball joints are squeaking when I hit a bump on the driver side and it annoys the **** out of me. I know that the best solution is to replace them, control arm and all. Price I found so far are 120, but they won't be here for five days.
Now my question, seeing as how ford in there infinite wisdom decided not to put zerks on the ball joints, has anyone tried drilling and tapping for a zerk before? If I did this it would only be a temp type thing as I know they need replaced, but it should/would stop the squeaking I would think. Any thoughts or opinions on this idea?
Man, buy an aftermarket part like the ones from Total Chaos ($605 shipped and are better for lifted/leveled trucks) that have uniballs. Or at least an upper control arm assembly with replaceable ball joints with xerks. Will pay for themselves within a few years if you keep the truck and drive it a lot.

Quick Reply: upper ball joint question