Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Undercarriage Rust Mitigation/Protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Got a Truck...Carry a Gun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post Undercarriage Rust Mitigation/Protection

My 03 F150 SuperCrew with 176k miles on it looks surprisingly good under the carriage. There's some surface rust which I want to get rid of before it becomes a problem. Basically, I just want to keep it looking good and I've done some research on undercarriage protection FYI.

1. Many people and even some dealers have suggested that there is no need to apply any undercarriage protection on relatively modern vehicles because of what is done at the factory prior to assembly.

This is bad advice because the rust protection done at the factory is not 'forever' and on everything and eventually, rust will develop and left unaddressed, will cause plenty of problems.

2. Some have suggested using a spray-on compound similar to the material used in bed protection. Many of these are basically, spray-on rubber and the idea is that it offers the best protection.

This is also bad advice because that rubber material will begin to de-laminate and can actually trap the very water, salt and grime you were trying to keep out, making a bad situation worse. This is not to mention that it can cause problems with various joints and connections that may need servicing later.

3. After all this effort, I've found one product (and this is not an endorsement) that appears to provide the kind of protection needed without the inherent problems of the aforementioned. It is called Nuxodol (http://www.noxudolusa.com/). It is very difficult to find anyone who offers it in my area.

I did find a Toyota dealer who is offering this on their trucks. When they do it, they take the bed off and thoroughly clean the undercarriage before applying the Nuxodol treatment. He suggested that Toyota had done a lot of research on this topic and they see it as a need, particularly for areas of inclement weather in the North, coastal areas, and wetlands.

I'm sure there may be other products and I've looked at the cans of stuff from the auto stores but I'm curious if anyone has looked into this further, ever had a Nuxodol application or what recommendations might be available?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 PM

I realize this thread is a little bit older, but was suprised nobody responded!

Go check out POR-15. You can find it at Eastwood and other similar online stores. It is a great product. Just be sure you use gloves/goggles, and if you're not doing this on a lift, use a paint suit and put plenty of plastic sheeting down under your truck. It's designed to go directly onto surface rust as well. Just clean away any scaling and apply. I prefer to use the foam brushes. Also, it's got a consistency similar to water, so it will go everywhere.

It dries to a very hard finish, and is very resistant to rock chips, etc...

Just my 2 cents worth.

v/r
Bryan B.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always use rust oleum spray paint to match the paint underneath and give it a good once over on all my vehicles. On the bottom on the doors I use rust oleum clear and let it run into the crevices.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:02 PM

Has anyone tried Krud Killer's "The must for rust"? I have some rust on some of the undercarriage parts. I always hear about POR-15 but I'm a little skeptical about putting something that permanent on my truck when it only has 24,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Undercarriage Rust Mitigation/Protection