Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Two questions for you.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Sniperuml

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Two questions for you.

#1) Recommended shock replacement for a stock 2010 XLT 4x4. OEM replacements the best to go with or should I be looking for a step up?

#2) I took my truck into the dealer to get a tire rotation and an oil change at the 43,000 mile mark recently. He comes out to tell me that I need a complete fluid flush; coolant, brake, tranny, power steering. At 43,000 miles, does this make sense? Having worked on cars since I was 10 the fluids appear fine to me. The brakes are firm as they were when new, the temp on the engine is still at the same as new, the power steering is acting normal as well. Don't get me wrong they all look like they have normal breakdown for have almost 50,000 miles on the clock. Is the deal just trying to get money out of me? I also really don't like how they want to go about changing the fluids. They want to use a pressure pump and force out the fluids in all of the systems, as I have seen places like Jiffy Lube do this and over pressurize the seals, it just scares me. The best way I always found was to pull the drain plug on the tranny and open the pour cover and let gravity do its job. Same with the coolant, for the brakes open the bleeder valves and start at the furthest wheel out from the resivore and bleed the brakes with new fluid until you see new fluid come out ever caliber.

I feel like they are just trying to scam money out of me, but just wanted to be sure. The service manual in the truck says nothing about replacing until 75,000 - 100,000 miles.

Thanks,
~Dan
Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Sniperuml

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might I add, there is no milky whiteness to the tranny fluid, the brake fluid isn't as clear as new but there is still no particulates in the fluid that I can see. The coolant has some common white flakes from the radiator descaling, mind you at the 75,000 mile mark I plan on changing the coolant anyways. The power steering looks almost slightly burnt, but I haven't done anything harsh the truck except some heavy deep snow traveling in 4x4L. But there is no whine, or pull from the steering either.

Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pass

Originally Posted by Sniperuml
Might I add, there is no milky whiteness to the tranny fluid, the brake fluid isn't as clear as new but there is still no particulates in the fluid that I can see. The coolant has some common white flakes from the radiator descaling, mind you at the 75,000 mile mark I plan on changing the coolant anyways. The power steering looks almost slightly burnt, but I haven't done anything harsh the truck except some heavy deep snow traveling in 4x4L. But there is no whine, or pull from the steering either.

Thanks again!
Dealers are notorious for over-recommending service. As manufacturers extend service intervals, dealers continue to push for more frequent service to add to their bottom line. My dealer still tries to get me back for 3,000 mile oil changes!

If you feel comfortable with the way your fluids present themselves, you're fine. If you're not sure, you can grab some test kits. But, unless your truck has been in some kind of harsh environment that would warrant it, I doubt any of those fluids need changing.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:26 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Do not let them flush the transmission. Suppose the be really bad for it. GM came out with a service bulletin saying not to flush there's. Best to drop the pan, replace the filter and then refill.

Quick Reply: Two questions for you.