Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Trying to find oil leak on '97 F150: Pics included

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trying to find oil leak on '97 F150: Pics included

A bit of background. I've got a '97 F150, 4.6L with about 276000 miles on it. The original engine had a bad head gasket, so it was swapped with an engine with fewer miles. It's probably got about 100000 - 120000 miles on it by now.

I've had an oil leak for quite awhile, but I don't drive her much so I couldn't say how much it leaks. The leak doesn't begin until immidiately after the torque converter inspection plate, and runs down the bottom of the trans and up the sides from there. Even the underside of the body above the trans is coated in oil (but not the top of the trans itself).

At first I thought it might be a rear main seal, but the flex plate, torque converter and inside of the bell housing look relatively clean from what I can see. After further inspection, I think it may be a head gasket, so I've posted pics of what I could see to find what the good folks in the forum think.

The first picture (driver's side, front is to the left) shows where the oil seems to be blowing up the side of the trans.

The second picture shows the small gap between the block and the trans, which appears relatively clean.

The third picture shows the extent of the oil, covering the bottom of the bellhousing, trans pan, and heat shield.

The fourth is a sideways picture with the driver's side head on the left.

The fifth is the block just below the fourth picture.

The sixth is another shot of the driver's side head - the dipstick tube is in the middle.

The seventh is the rear of the driver's side head - seems pretty dry.

The pics of the head are all on the driver's side, but there is also oil on the passenger side heat shield, as well as above the trans. I'm not sure if a leak on the driver's side head would blow back that far. I'm also not sure if just because I can't see anything around the rear main seal externally means it isn't actually leaking. I also took a look at the passenger side head as much as I could, and couldn't see anything remarkable. Maybe I really don't want to do heads and am just in denial.

What do you all think?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by sectrix
What do you all think?
What I think is you have a worn out truck in need of some TLC or burial, what exactly do you want to know?

If you trying to pinpoint an oil leak they sell a dye that glows under ultraviolet light but your going to have to pressure clean the entire under carriage around the engine compartment as well as the engine block itself.

Once you get all the cleaning done, put the oil leak chemical in your engine and drive around a little bit to circulate it and examine the engine while under the uv light, then you will find the leak.

My professional opinion is you will find multiple leaks at every seal and gasket. Which is where I would choose to rebuild but that's just me.

In any event, good luck because you have your hands full and most likely your wallet will empty swiftly.

Quick Reply: Trying to find oil leak on '97 F150: Pics included